Who likes to break the rules?

There's the other scare tactic, someone might have to pay for your mistakes, guess what, you pay for other peoples mistakes ALL THE TIME they're called your taxes!

You've stated your opinion about helmets, repeatedly. Fair enough.
Now kindly take this other carp elsewhere.

"The bathtub argument stands". Well, that's where you're going wrong, all that soapy water and a high centre of gravity, bound to be risky. Why not sit down like the rest of us?

Lud, good ol' fashioned sarcasm, now that was funny! Though I must say, ivory soaped tires in the tub makes for GREAT burnouts, wink.

You keep putting up sites that talk about bicycle helmets 1 big problem with that is .
When you are doing 20+MPH on a bicycle you don't use a helmet made for a bicycle a without a motor. You use a real motorcycle helmet, witch I got at a pawn shop for $20.00.
I got to say I would thank you would know that, unless you are going to tell me motorcycle helmets don't work either.

Even a bicycle helmet would be better the your head hitting the car with out one .
To say as kid you never hit your head riding is a little unbelievable if you did not then you must not of rode or jumped much because if you did any kind of jumping/racing /daredeviling and so on, you are going to hit you head on the handle bars ground and so on regardless of how good you are it is going to happen.

There we have a difference between the UK and America. If I build a bike with an engine, it's legally a moped and I am required to wear a motorcycle helmet, not one for a bicycle.

Another point I'll make, I never ever buy a secondhand helmet. I don't know it's history, whether in impact terms, exposure to solvents, UV degradation or age. A helmet, you're right, offers vastly more cranial protection than no helmet, but until I can get a secondhand brain cheap as well, I'm always going to buy a new hat when I need it.

Sam, even though it's hard to have a discussion with a made up mind, first YES I have two danglies like you and did super-foolish stuff on a bike and with my feet (jumping off high stuff, roofs and such) did TONS of dardeviling broke spokes from impact, 70's SoCal kid who did lots of running on the dirtbike from the po-po, but what I also did was take martial arts from a young age, the first thing you are taught is how to fall.Second you hit your FACE on the handle-bars not your head, helmet is not going to help you there.So I put this to you, if you and a stuntman do the same stunt who is likely to hit his head, considering we all have to follow the rules of physics?It is because of training and practice that a stuntman does all those UNBELIEVABLE things, you could do it too given you are in shape and practice, it's not magic it's using physics to your advantage.

Though I must say by today's societal standards I'm a bit nuts, here's the best analogy I can muster, a doctor tells someone today "your health is bad you need to change your diet and exercise,... or you can take this pill for the rest of your life" 85% take the pill, I'll exercise thank you,... exercise/diet=general-bike-safety pill=helmet

Last edited:
There we have a difference between the UK and America. If I build a bike with an engine, it's legally a moped and I am required to wear a motorcycle helmet, not one for a bicycle.
California has the same law where a motorized bicycle is in the same as a moped
and you are required to wear a DOT rated motorcycle helmet.

Motorized bicycles and mopeds in CA also use the same $19 one time fee license plate.

Breaking the rules just means you are a kid at heart. Being a responsible adult I’ve come up with an idea. I’mo glue a prop from an RC helicopter on top of my helmet. When I’m tucked in behind the bars it should help propel me forward. When riding straight up in the saddle it should give the cumbersome helmet some lift. How sporty would that look?

Back