Why do people insist on passing me?

I had a guy pass me then slam on his brakes to make a turn causing me to come within 6in of running into the back of him doing 30 thru 25

Had the same thing happen but I hit with both my tires locked up. Chased the kid thru a parking lot and kicked his passenger side mirror off. He didn't use the f-cking thing anyway.

I have had 2 accidents, both from people making a right turn after they have passed me. It was their fault, but I blame myself a little. After the first one you would think I would have learned. I pay much better attention to possible situations these days.

Last edited:
I learned a long time ago, from riding my regular mountain bike around Phoenix, that it doesn't matter what the rules are and that you will NEVER teach other drivers to watch out for your invisible bicycle. I ride the sidewalks near busy roads, and slow down at the T sections, and still kick myself for ever going in front of a car, even if they wave me on, if there's traffic on the main road. I'm not in such a hurry that I can't have fun on the sidewalks. I'm on a fun bicycle, and not a part of the rat race of the main road. Grant it Phoenix has a lot of available sidewalks, where other places may not.

Had the same thing happen but I hit with both my tires locked up. Chased the kid thru a parking lot and kicked his passenger side mirror off. He didn't use the f-cking thing anyway.
Eric:
I'm not a big fan of violence - it usually doesn't solve the problem - - - but man- I wish I had been there to see it!!

I've lived in Phoenix all my life and I'm 45yrs old. Since the beginning of the bike lanes here I've always called them suicide lanes.
The reason I prefer the sidewalk for a regular and motorized bike is that I have a bit of a barrier between me and the vehicles, instead of just a painted line. It's much less stressful on the sidewalk, which makes it more fun for me since I got my bike primarily for recreation. It's also a more interesting ride, with dips and turns and occasional people to go around etc.

To each their own but I can't personally see why, if given the choice, someone would choose to run full throttle on the side of the road so close to people smashers, when there's a nice path along side it that cars aren't allowed to use, and wouldn't fit anyways. However I ride on the road in residential areas. Phoenix is not the same as other places though, so this is mostly meant for Phoenix people.

I can understand why you want to ride the sidewalks, especially in Phoenix. I ride the street. Though it may not be the safest I chose it because first it's illegal to ride the walks, and second it is annoying to the community to have bicycles let alone motorized bikes on the walks. The last thing we need it the community more annoyed with us than they already are. To each his own, but that's my opinion.

Oh yeah, I understand what you're saying gary55. Here in Phoenix it's always been illegal on the books to ride a bicycle on the sidewalks I believe, but I've never heard of anyone getting cited. I'm not sure about the snootier parts of the greater Phx area though. A lot of our sidewalks are so easy to move quickly on without endangering people unless the rider is being totally foolish and not watching out, or not slowing down. I slow way down and make it clear to the walker that I'm going WAY around them. When the coast is clear I speed up again. Legally we can't go over 20mph anywhere with these unregistered bikes. Hmmm. :)

I was checking out Prescott Lakes Parkway. Would the police bother you for using the sidewalk there?

Eric:
I'm not a big fan of violence - it usually doesn't solve the problem - - - but man- I wish I had been there to see it!!
It was also a right from the left lane. I'm not normally like that but my adrenaline was through the roof.

Back