Why do people insist on passing me?

Oh yeah, I understand what you're saying gary55. Here in Phoenix it's always been illegal on the books to ride a bicycle on the sidewalks I believe, but I've never heard of anyone getting cited. I'm not sure about the snootier parts of the greater Phx area though. A lot of our sidewalks are so easy to move quickly on without endangering people unless the rider is being totally foolish and not watching out, or not slowing down. I slow way down and make it clear to the walker that I'm going WAY around them. When the coast is clear I speed up again. Legally we can't go over 20mph anywhere with these unregistered bikes. Hmmm. :)

I was checking out Prescott Lakes Parkway. Would the police bother you for using the sidewalk there?
I'm not sure about that parkway. I know any of the bike trails or routes are ok. Their is one around the collage and VA hospital that can be used. With all that goes on in the valley they probably hardly even notice you. When I first moved to Phx. there was only 1 mil. peps in the whole state. 500G in the valley, 250G in the Tuc. area and the rest spread out in the rest of the state. Now with 5 mil. in the valley their's a lot to pay attention to.

I've lived in Phoenix all my life and I'm 45yrs old. Since the beginning of the bike lanes here I've always called them suicide lanes.
The reason I prefer the sidewalk for a regular and motorized bike is that I have a bit of a barrier between me and the vehicles, instead of just a painted line. It's much less stressful on the sidewalk, which makes it more fun for me since I got my bike primarily for recreation. It's also a more interesting ride, with dips and turns and occasional people to go around etc.

To each their own but I can't personally see why, if given the choice, someone would choose to run full throttle on the side of the road so close to people smashers, when there's a nice path along side it that cars aren't allowed to use, and wouldn't fit anyways. However I ride on the road in residential areas. Phoenix is not the same as other places though, so this is mostly meant for Phoenix people.
My first accident was on a sidewalk a guy bought a new car literally pulling out of the dealership well he pulled out right in front of me no time to stop flipped over his car i was going 15 it was where theres the driveway sidewalk driveway type of thing

The thing is, people see us as bicycles and not motorized bicycles or mopeds and thus they under estimate our speed. This is why they will pass you and then cut in front of you to make a right turn, they don't consider that we are going much faster than a regular peddle bicycle.

My first accident was on a sidewalk a guy bought a new car literally pulling out of the dealership well he pulled out right in front of me no time to stop flipped over his car i was going 15 it was where theres the driveway sidewalk driveway type of thing
Yep Jroge1523, those are the little Jack in the Box spots where they pop out before the music stops. :) Glad you're ok. Even though I'm not as dumb as I used to be, I still catch myself not being as cautious as I should with those spots. I've only been riding motorized for about a month and a half, so I have to make sure I don't show off for passing drivers anymore too. ;)

I've noticed with my much louder exhaust cars don't treat me like a bicycle anymore. Its been nice. Cars wait to turn left out of driveways. Nobody's passed me illegally yet. Folks seem to hang back farther than before even, must be hard on their ears, GOOD!!! I set off sensitive car alarms now. Finally I'm recognized on the road and not some obscure hard to see squishy thing.

I have had that happen before. Thing is I am typically off towards the right side of the lane which by law bicycles are supposed to do unless its not safe then they can ride in the middle. But none the less when people go to pass they don't move into the other lane to pass me to give me the required 6 ft by law they just buzz me by going half in the other lane while staying half in my lane.

Big reason why I am planning out my board track racer build now so I can have a better top speed than my 2 stroke cruiser.

I've had many cars unsafely pass me, mirror within a foot of my handlebars in 25mph zones with single lanes and double yellow lines with no bike lanes. Almost feels like they are trying to force me off the road into the gravel...
That's why I stick to the far left of the right side lane if you don't wanna smell two smoke drive around.

The right way

Back