Winter Oil

2speedboi

Local time
4:02 AM
I like to try and get out once a month if the weather permits, during unfavorable conditions. meaning if I can get the little 2 stroke started and I can find my gear for weather protection I am riding.

Lowest temp I will ride in is straight 20 degrees.

In another thread I mentioned mystery oil.
Why I run mystery oil in my 2s mix:

It's designed for high temperature operation, both in 2 and 4 stroke.

It works amazing on cold starts in my 1981 straight six ford, before it was a little concerning at -20.

I've used it in chainsaws, newer cars, weed trimmers and lawn mowers. Use in the fuel in my pickup too.

Any one else use it? Particular to 2 strokes?
What do you use? 4 or 2

edit: I run 1 part MO and 3 parts Lucas oil at 32:1.

FrizzleFried

Local time
5:02 AM
The negative with MMO is that it thins out the oil and actually INCREASES the running temperature of the engine you put it in to. In most cases that's not a huge deal, but when you're talking about little engines where a small increase in temperature can be detrimental to performance, it can be worrisome.

2speedboi

Local time
4:02 AM
I certainly noticed gained performance after adding to mix, and the little zenoah didn't seem to increase in temperature, usually a slight carb adjustment when temps drop or increase. Very sensitive, but easy to please.

To say the least, at the beginning of the year I was very happy to not see a single scratch or scrape on the walls after 1000 miles, will do another inspection in January to confirm it's status, but maybe switching to a 29cc head anyways.