2017 California Vehicle Code CVC "Motorized Bicycle"

Thanks for confirming turn signals are not required - The 2017 California Vehicle Code book shows our State is right in line with Federal Code. 30 mph or less need not be equipped with turn signal lamps.

CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE
DIVISION 12. EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES
CHAPTER 2. Lighting Equipment
ARTICLE 5. Signal Lamps and Devices

CVC 24591(b)
The following vehicles shall be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system meeting the requirements of this chapter.
(4) Motorcycles manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1973, except motor-driven cycles whose speed attainable in one mile is 30 miles per hour or less.

Rules Regarding Motorcycles and Motor Driven Cycles
(FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD 108)

Motorcycle means a motor vehicle with motive power having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground.

Motor-driven cycle means a motorcycle with a motor that produces 5-brake horsepower or less.

49 CFR 571.108
A motorcycle turn signal lamp need meet only one-half of the minimum photometric values specified in Table 1 and Table 3 of SAE J588 NOV84 Turn Signal Lamps.

A motor-driven cycle whose speed attainable in 1 mile is 30 mph or less need not be equipped with turn signal lamps. (not true for Canada) http://calcoast-itl.com/assets/Motorcycles & Motor Driven Cycles - Lighting.pdf

2017 GPO doc
Table I-c—Required Lamps and Reflective Devices
Turn Signal Lamps: None required on a motor driven cycle whose speed attainable in 1 mile is 30 mph or less

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?node=se49.6.571_1108
I would have to cross reference the codes that these codes reference, just because
(c) Except as provided in subdivisions (a) and (b), none of the provisions of this chapter relating to motorcycles and motor-driven cycles, as defined in this code, shall apply to a motorized bicycle.

That cancels out a lot of the restrictive MDC code.

So i live in southern california and have a motorized bicycle...it goes less than 30mph.
Do i have to have a motorcycle license to ride it to and from work..yes or no?

Yes you need a motorcycle license, M1 or M2.

Here's the CVC that was referenced but not included in the original post:

DIVISION 6. DRIVERS' LICENSES
CHAPTER 1. Issuance of Licenses, Expiration, and Renewal
ARTICLE 3. Issuance and Renewal of Licenses

(4) Class M1. A two-wheel motorcycle or a motor-driven cycle. Authority to operate a vehicle included in a class M1 license may be granted by endorsement on a class A, B, or C license upon completion of an appropriate examination.

(5) (A) Class M2 includes the following:

(i) A motorized bicycle or moped, or a bicycle with an attached motor, except an electric bicycle as described in subdivision (a) of Section 312.5.

(ii) A motorized scooter.

(B) Authority to operate vehicles included in class M2 may be granted by endorsement on a class A, B, or C license upon completion of an appropriate examination, except that no endorsement is required for a motorized scooter. Persons holding a class M1 license or endorsement may operate vehicles included in class M2 without further examination.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...html?tocCode=VEH&tocTitle=+Vehicle+Code+-+VEH

The most straightforward answer I have is just the way it is.
M2 endorsement and a plate, however many municipalities don't enforce it.

It's up to your municipality and county how they enforce it.

You don't only need an m2 you also need a plate, unless you live in a municipality that doesn't enforce it.

The answer is you need MORE than just an m2 and plate, there is also HELMET laws and more laws that go on after that which are mostly equipment standards like HORN and MIRROR, I really hate when people ask for bulls**t to be cosigned, I don't know your bike, it's probably illegal as f***, I don't know your municipality, they might agree its illegal as f***, I DO know many municipalities DON'T GIVE A f***.

I'm a manufacturer that actually gives a f*** what laws mean, and have the rights to operate no license and no plate. I can renew my Out of State laws as often as I want/need to and also exercise plenty of other laws that contribute to the protected class of 50cc no license motorized bicycles.

Last edited:
If a motorized bicycle were entirely decked out to be legal, it would be a Motor Driven Cycle class.
That's what seems to be intended by the law.

It's a motorized bicycle when its perceived as an illegal motor driven cycle and not equipped with all the legal gear.

"A motorized bicycle? You know you don't need registration for those."
If that's the only vehicle you have, you don't need to register it. But if you register it and have a current M2 or M1 you have the right to INSURE your vehicle if your insurance company accepts the paperwork.

But you have the right to register it, and that's where people's question IS.

Licensing etc. IS registration, it's not a grey area it's a double entendre.
:::::A double entendre is a figure of speech in which a spoken phrase is devised to be understood in either of two ways. Often the first (more obvious) meaning is straightforward, while the second meaning is less so: often risqué or ironic.:::::

Plating is registration, Insurance is registration, Licensing is registration, all of those things are what have to do of initially Registering Any Vehicle.

If you don't have to register, you don't have to go to the DMV.

If a municipality says you have to have registration for the Bicycle you can Register it with the DOT if you choose to.

That's the meat and potatoes of why, you want to register with the DOT your vehicle or No.

Are you going to insure it? Not without an M2, Plate and Registration.

It's just a gamey old law designed to upsell people into the next more expensive class of Vehicle, in our case Motor Driven Cycles, which are DOT recognized as Vehicles that the state can rake tax money from annual registrations.

Our motorized bicycles are a NEW thing with the legislations, that Via California we can register a motor ized bicycle with the Dept of Transportation.

Cops aren't gonna tell you that, but that's a major influencer in what's enforced.

I'm not here to s**t on the parade, just saying it sure seems like I don't have to Register or do anything about the DMV as long as I follow municipal Bicycle ordinances, however there are more laws regarding Motorized Bicycles and the actual intention of what they state and how it's expressed.

Everybody seems to forget it's a bicycle too, we're already victim of laws and misperceived in execution of the law as Motor Driven Cycles, and any new laws are still ursurped by the continuance of just having 4020 on what any judge jury or officer agrees that what registration is.

Riders can always get a learners permit, an m2 isn't necessarily specificially the Minimum.
http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/mo...w-to-Apply-for-a-California-Motorcycle-Permit

Of course, why get a Motorcycle Permit if you don't intend to REGISTER your motorized bicycle.

Police aren't always insurance agents, but when they are they are doing their jobs. Can it be insured, does it need to be insured, what is the reputation of the manufacturer? Should it be insured? Can 300,000 of them be insured? What would the mortality rate be? Is the repair and upkeep serviceable? What is the level of complexity to build and operate one versus to purchase and operate one? Does a manufacturer need a license?

Last edited:
If you don't have to register, you don't have to go to the DMV.

If a municipality says you have to have registration for the Bicycle you can Register it with the DOT if you choose to.

That's an interesting little tidbit about registering a MB with the DOT instead of getting plated through the Ca. DMV.

So tell me, how much does the DOT charge for their MB registration fee?

That's an interesting little tidbit about registering a MB with the DOT instead of getting plated through the Ca. DMV.

So tell me, how much does the DOT charge for their MB registration fee?

The DMV is a Federal Agency of the Department of Transportation, if you're doing business with the DMV you're already doing business with the DOT.
That's not a grey area in any state.

In certain States, many have County based facilities with which to register the Bicycle with the Department of the State in the case of any necessary registration to the individual to insure, for example as in Renters Insurance.

In California, the State is willing to ADAPT the DMV Registration Process to ACCOMMODATE MOTORIZED BICYCLES.
I know motorized bicycles, do you think ALL of them should be registered with the DOT? The DOT isn't asking that they be registered nationwide. However from California, with enough petitions, there could be an acceptance of it which would give us INSURANCE, and once that's mandated and law then we'll all have to get our licenses and register our motorized bicycles. Not gonna be enforced unless the insurance is enforced and that's gonna be a federal decision to affect the DOT before the State police are going to enforce it.

That being said, it is exempt from Registration - yes it can be Registered very easily and that record is there in the Federal DOT records...

As more riders get on with the sport, the legislation will advance yet again until you see Red States enforcing State issued license plates on them. 74MPG is worth every bit of additional maintenance, I like to believe everybody is a manufacturer exempt from licensing. However, that isn't always the case, many manufacturers have tried to make a model that has fewer necessary service hours but its too expensive then the bike becomes an expensive motor driven cycle, outside of our products' legislation...

Most State officers are on Highways between situations, and Motorized Bicycles aren't on Highways/Interstates, but if you WERE, LETS JUST SAY YOU ARE SUCH A GREAT MANUFACTURER YOUR BIKE BICYCLE 51CC IS GOING TO TRAVEL THE SPEED LIMIT ON THE INTERSTATE AND NOT BREAK DOWN TRAVELING THE SPEEDLIMIT 70MPH WITH SAFE BRAKES AND FMVSS GEAR, then in CALIFORNIA you need a LICENSE PLATE and INSURANCE, even though it's not a law you'd get a ticket for one and have to fight it in court to prove that its an INSURABLE enough bicycle and your manufacturing is SO GREAT THAT ITS SAFE ENOUGH FOR EVERYBODY to get going the speed limit.

I'm not scared to jump on a 35MPH street and just get to where I'm going like anybody else driving a bicycle, and I'm going to register it with the DOT because I intend to manufacture a bike with a SBP jackshaft kit so that I can upgrade it to a Motor Driven Cycle and take it on the Interstate, I have this multi kit design that is going to rip two motors with 2 <25t driven sprockets and electric front wheels which is going to need insurance because when I cook it at 90 miles an hour I'm going to wreck hard and they are going to need to identify me by my license plate or Serial Number on the frame to give me medical attention and aquire my medical records despite being potentially in a coma, that is the purpose of the laws, to regulate wild and crazy motherf***ers who will push the limit way further than you push it in your Neighborhood ride.

It's a State law, that's State police enforcing laws on State Highways - why don't they see Motorized Bicycles? They can only go the neighborhood speed limit of 35mph and can't keep up on the State Highway. Even Motor Driven Cycles have a hard time operating on the highway. But a builder COULD USE THESE LAWS, MANUFACTURE A BICYCLE THAT HAS ALL THE FMVSS GEAR AND REGISTER IT AS A MOTORIZED BICYCLE AND IT WILL TRAVEL DOWN THE INTERSTATE AT THE SPEED LIMIT JUST FINE AND POLICE WILL JUST GIVE YOU MOTOR DRIVEN CYCLE RESPECT, But you have to have built a bicycle that meets the class qualifications as a Motor Driven Cycle to even travel fast enough to see a State officer, no bicycle kit is going to actually qualify to hop on the freeway. BUT s**t IF IT HAPPENS AND YOU ARE SUPERMAN BUILDER YOU BETTER HAVE A LICENSE PLATE AND A CLEAN DRIVING RECORD BECAUSE THAT'S AN ATTENTION GETTER. You know cops are running your plate saying Whos That, because I'll be honest I can barely go up a hill without losing 15 miles an hour like any bicycle, if you build the worlds greatest build out of a cheap china kit that can keep up on the freeway and have super low maintenance requirements you won the major manufacturing contract!

But basically to get FREEWAY ACCESS (AKA INTERSTATE AKA HIGHWAY), you have to start with a build you can PEDAL 74MPH, that will also operate inside the city streets inside motorized bicycle legislations... because you still gotta get over hills and drive a motorized bicycle like what it is, be able to pull over and stop and get right back going again like ZER0 PR0BLEMS 0FFICER.

Some people are from out of state, and plenty of people are building them in the poverished communities, which certainly sways the indifference as to what the purpose and intention of the driver is, are they SELLING ILLEGAL DRUGS ON IT, are they under FEDERAL SURVEILLANCE, do they MEET THE DESCRIPTION OF A SUSPECT, were they OPERATING IN AN UNSAFE MANNER, there's a situation behind every situation, are they BUYING GROCERIES, or are they HAVE NO LIGHTS.

The point is, I think I designed THE ULTIMATE KIT, out of 4 kits.
Fastest designs ever. Inframe "Taxi" Motor, for driving neighborhood 40mph speeds, Rear Mount SBP Shift Kit driving a <25t single speed sprocket on 29" wheels, Front wheel 36vHub Motor and External Electric ChainDriven Motor, speeds should be able to reach 74mph on a freeway, and if I can source a way to get a faster pedal speed, the overall performance will really hit around 50-60mph.

Do you need a license and license plate?
What did you just build?

Last edited:
The DMV is a Federal Agency of the Department of Transportation, if you're doing business with the DMV you're already doing business with the DOT.
That's not a grey area in any state.
Not CalTrans, the United States Department Of Transportation https://www.transportation.gov/bicycles-pedestrians

In certain States, many have County based facilities with which to register the Bicycle with the Department of the State in the case of any necessary registration to the individual to insure, for example as in Renters Insurance.

In California, the State is willing to ADAPT the DMV Registration Process to ACCOMMODATE MOTORIZED BICYCLES.
I know motorized bicycles, do you think ALL of them should be registered with the DOT? The DOT isn't asking that they be registered nationwide. However from California, with enough petitions, there could be an acceptance of it which would give us INSURANCE, and once that's mandated and law then we'll all have to get our licenses and register our motorized bicycles. Not gonna be enforced unless the insurance is enforced and that's gonna be a federal decision to affect the DOT before the State police are going to enforce it.

That being said, it is exempt from Registration - yes it can be Registered very easily and that record is there in the Federal DOT records...

As more riders get on with the sport, the legislation will advance yet again until you see Red States enforcing State issued license plates on them. 74MPG is worth every bit of additional maintenance, I like to believe everybody is a manufacturer exempt from licensing. However, that isn't always the case, many manufacturers have tried to make a model that has fewer necessary service hours but its too expensive then the bike becomes an expensive motor driven cycle, outside of our products' legislation...

Most State officers are on Highways between situations, and Motorized Bicycles aren't on Highways/Interstates, but if you WERE, LETS JUST SAY YOU ARE SUCH A GREAT MANUFACTURER YOUR BIKE BICYCLE 51CC IS GOING TO TRAVEL THE SPEED LIMIT ON THE INTERSTATE AND NOT BREAK DOWN TRAVELING THE SPEEDLIMIT 70MPH WITH SAFE BRAKES AND FMVSS GEAR, then in CALIFORNIA you need a LICENSE PLATE and INSURANCE, even though it's not a law you'd get a ticket for one and have to fight it in court to prove that its an INSURABLE enough bicycle and your manufacturing is SO GREAT THAT ITS SAFE ENOUGH FOR EVERYBODY to get going the speed limit.

I'm not scared to jump on a 35MPH street and just get to where I'm going like anybody else driving a bicycle, and I'm going to register it with the DOT because I intend to manufacture a bike with a SBP jackshaft kit so that I can upgrade it to a Motor Driven Cycle and take it on the Interstate, I have this multi kit design that is going to rip two motors with 2 <25t driven sprockets and electric front wheels which is going to need insurance because when I cook it at 90 miles an hour I'm going to wreck hard and they are going to need to identify me by my license plate or Serial Number on the frame to give me medical attention and aquire my medical records despite being potentially in a coma, that is the purpose of the laws, to regulate wild and crazy motherf***ers who will push the limit way further than you push it in your Neighborhood ride.

It's a State law, that's State police enforcing laws on State Highways - why don't they see Motorized Bicycles? They can only go the neighborhood speed limit of 35mph and can't keep up on the State Highway. Even Motor Driven Cycles have a hard time operating on the highway. But a builder COULD USE THESE LAWS, MANUFACTURE A BICYCLE THAT HAS ALL THE FMVSS GEAR AND REGISTER IT AS A MOTORIZED BICYCLE AND IT WILL TRAVEL DOWN THE INTERSTATE AT THE SPEED LIMIT JUST FINE AND POLICE WILL JUST GIVE YOU MOTOR DRIVEN CYCLE RESPECT, But you have to have built a bicycle that meets the class qualifications as a Motor Driven Cycle to even travel fast enough to see a State officer, no bicycle kit is going to actually qualify to hop on the freeway. BUT sh*t IF IT HAPPENS AND YOU ARE SUPERMAN BUILDER YOU BETTER HAVE A LICENSE PLATE AND A CLEAN DRIVING RECORD BECAUSE THAT'S AN ATTENTION GETTER. You know cops are running your plate saying Whos That, because I'll be honest I can barely go up a hill without losing 15 miles an hour like any bicycle, if you build the worlds greatest build out of a cheap china kit that can keep up on the freeway and have super low maintenance requirements you won the major manufacturing contract!

But basically to get FREEWAY ACCESS (AKA INTERSTATE AKA HIGHWAY), you have to start with a build you can PEDAL 74MPH, that will also operate inside the city streets inside motorized bicycle legislations... because you still gotta get over hills and drive a motorized bicycle like what it is, be able to pull over and stop and get right back going again like ZER0 PR0BLEMS 0FFICER.

Some people are from out of state, and plenty of people are building them in the poverished communities, which certainly sways the indifference as to what the purpose and intention of the driver is, are they SELLING ILLEGAL DRUGS ON IT, are they under FEDERAL SURVEILLANCE, do they MEET THE DESCRIPTION OF A SUSPECT, were they OPERATING IN AN UNSAFE MANNER, there's a situation behind every situation, are they BUYING GROCERIES, or are they HAVE NO LIGHTS.

The point is, I think I designed THE ULTIMATE KIT, out of 4 kits.
Fastest designs ever. Inframe "Taxi" Motor, for driving neighborhood 40mph speeds, Rear Mount SBP Shift Kit driving a <25t single speed sprocket on 29" wheels, Front wheel 36vHub Motor and External Electric ChainDriven Motor, speeds should be able to reach 74mph on a freeway, and if I can source a way to get a faster pedal speed, the overall performance will really hit around 50-60mph.

Do you need a license and license plate?
What did you just build?
Should you alert the authorities?

State DOT
The Department of Transportation, or DOT, may go by different names, such as Caltrans in California, but its role is generally the same from state to state. The DOT deals with transportation and mobility on a state wide basis, but this doesn't just mean local roads and highways. Depending on the state, the DOT's range of responsibility can include the coordination, planning, construction and administration of your state's mass transit systems, such as buses and light rail, and railway transportation for both passengers and material shipments. The DOT maintains these transportation systems, builds highways and roads, and maintains the equipment used on them. The DOT's main concern is of the timely operation and safety of these roads and methods of transportation rather than the individuals that use them.

To this end, the DOT collects a variety of data regarding the methods of travel as well as numbers and frequency of accidents during their use, in order to better determine various laws and regulations such as speed limits and ways to alleviate traffic congestion.

State DMV
DMV stands for Department of Motor Vehicles, and just as the name states, their concern lies with motor vehicles such as cars, trucks and motorcycles. The individual name of the agency may vary depending on the state. Some common names include the BMV, or bureau of motor vehicles, in places like Ohio, or the Motor Vehicle Department, in Arizona. The DMV is a division of the DOT, and deals with licensing, vehicle registration and operator certification of drivers both private and commercial that use cars and trucks on public roads. The DMV is where you go for your driver's license test, where you pay for your car's registration fees, and where you get your license plate and emissions testing done. Rather than infrastructure and physical design, the DMV deals with the people operating the vehicles found on public roads, as well as the vehicles themselves, ensuring that they are all qualified to operate on public roads safely. To this end, the DMV keeps detailed logs of driving records and vehicle titling, and holds the power to revoke or reinstate driving privileges as it deems necessary.

United States DOT
https://www.transportation.gov/bicycles-pedestrians

Got it, so there is no registering a MB directly with the United States Department of Transportation, just continue getting plated through the California DMV using the Reg 230 Form. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...4063-a819-a5dfc8ff5691/reg230.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

You got it. California State is willing to register the bicycle serial number (BSN) as a vehicle identification number (VIN) alongside the USDOT records, just because you paid 21$ in taxes. It's called being "progressive", and might result in a product known as a motorized bicycle that can actually comfortably travel a state line.

I'm pretty sure they weren't supposed to, and people did anyways to the point they may as well, enough report and questions filed, and then legislation does occur. I think it is pretty awesome and would be glad to get my m2 about it and pay taxes to REGISTER it, but would be just as glad operating it without any unnecessary registration and further limiting legislations, aside from the standard Bicycle gear.

The goal of this thread honestly is to copy and paste all the CVC for the year into it relating to Motorized Bicycles, and also to contain ALL of the legislations and referenced codes into a Single Page Document, which I will try to maintain. Odd technical problems and the time it takes to do such a task is slow, but once it's done I'll remind everybody to check the top post.

I sure do hold onto that CVC4020 but I sure do like the concept of just being a human and jumping on a motorized bicycle unregistered and enjoying the hell out of it.

It's a sad state of affairs, that the USDOT doesn't see the market value of affordable transportation like Motorized Bicycles, so development isn't coming from them.

I could be WAY off, but I'm pretty certain that is the gist of it, there are more agencies involved of course, but that seems to be the short version.

Last edited:
Back