Any Cool helmets

check out jphelmet on ebay...pretty cool, very fast delivery, looks like an old davida or buco but only 89 bucks with shipping.

Helmet use is a touchy subject on most bicycling forums. There's people who insist they're a great idea, and then there's people like me who hardly ever wear them. There's a lot of emotionalism thrown around and a lot of anecdotal evidence claimed, but I'll just state a few facts, and then a couple opinions here:

FACTS:

1. Bicycling helmets are built to crash standards that are vastly inferior to what motorcycle helmets are built to. Wearing a bicycle helmet is not "almost like" wearing a motorcycle helmet; it is not even close.

2. The main reason motorcycle helmets are impractical for regular bicyclists is because the motorcycle helmets don't have enough air circulation, and get too hot with the exercise that pedaling a bicycle entails.

3. In some countries with high bicycle use such as Denmark their research into helmet use has not found it to significantly alter injury statistics, and helmets are required only on very young children, if at all. In the larger cities like Copenhagen, bicycle use is VERY high, and yet you can sit for hours trying to spot anyone over the age of 5 years wearing a helmet (-and you'll see a lot of people younger than that age without!).

---------

OPINIONS:

I think wearing a helmet for regular bicycle riding is generally dumb; it's typically rare that bicycle helmets can be proven to mitigate injuries in bicycle crashes. What matters a lot more is riding safely and being aware of what's happening around you, including behind you....

What I consider to be far more important for riding safety is to have a good rear-view mirror. My head-mounted mirror has prevented me from countless "close calls" with motor traffic, while my helmet (when I wore it) has never prevented anything that I know of. I see lots of people bicycling with helmets now, but most of them still don't have any rear-view mirror.

If you're riding off-road then it's possible a helmet could have some benefit, because you may be traveling (and crashing) at speeds low enough for a bicycle helmet's styrofoam to prevent some injury (<15 mph) --but on the road, you are most likely to be hit by a car that will be traveling much faster than the impact speeds a bicycle helmet is design to be effective at (we might also ponder for a moment people around here building 40+ MPH bicycle setups....).

If you are riding a motorized bicycle and you are concerned about head injuries and you won't be pedaling much anyway--then get a motorcycle helmet! Do not even bother wasting your money on a bicycle helmet.
~

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the great info. I'm gonna get rid of my bike helmet and get a motorcycle helmet.
I lost a friend 20 years ago he was hit by a car from behind. I'll never forget it.

They make a lot of sharp looking handle bar mirrors hat really dress up the bike for under $10 bucks.

i must agree with doug c, get a dot approved mcycle helmet, and for goodness sake mirrors are cheap but are invaluable safety tools.

heck yeah, you're doing DOT speeds...you'd better have DOT protection!
my helmet was delivered days before the engine, i knew better than to tempt fate :LOL:
Mvc-684f.jpg

helmets, form a vendor point of view

I began to sell "extreme sports/skateboard" helmets at the first of selling the china-bike engines. At the point of beginning to sell Whizzers (more power, more speed, plus CA law had some changes) I began to stock and sell DOT half shells. I have discontinued the bike/skate helmets (one left).

Yesterday I ordered 30 more new helmets in 5 different styles and various colors. Wear a helmet, I encourage all my customers (even the ones I might not like), and the idea here is, neither a dead, or brain-damaged customer, nor his relatives, will buy any more motorbicycles, parts, nor accessories.

Sooooo.........do I care about these people, or am I a heartless capitolist? Well I could leave it up to you to decide BUT, I do have friends who ride what I have sold them, and have developed from my customers, some new friends.

"Friends don't let Friends ride bareheaded!"

seems as aprapo as saying

"Bill, you are a Nudist, please don't go out into that patch of Stinging Nettles"

Mike

Augie,
I noticed that you have the same mirrors as I do and man they vibrate so much, I can't see hardly anything behind me.
Is there a cure besides mounting them on a Rolls Royce?
Doc

I just bought this beauty at a pawn shop for $20. I never thought I'd find a small. It fits perfectly, is comfortable and holds my head light in the perfect position.

Totally awesome headlights Augi. That's what I'd like. I get the psychadellic tracers in my mirror too. At least it looks cool.

Attachments

• helmet.jpg
    helmet.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 326
Back