are recumbents stable?

redneckracing674

Local time
8:14 AM
My question is are recumbents stable, and also do they have good brakes? are they good for going really really fast? ive never ridden one before. do they go offroad? can you put wide tires on em? what does the steering knuckles and spindles look like? do they have/can you make suspension

I've never ridden one, but I see they come in a couple different configurations. They have a low profile so are harder to be seen by traffic, a local guy got killed on one for that very reason. There was a tractor/trailer waiting at a light to make a right turn, the DA on the recumbent pulled right up beside the semi and didn't bother to check the blinkers. Right on red is legal, so when the road was clear the semi went.

I have ridden owned many of them, if you like bicycles these are another aspect of riding. They are very quick on flats and downhill, much less drag and way easier on your behind and neck, very relaxed riding. Little slower climbing but not bad. For exercise I love mine, we have recumbent tadpole trikes as well which are also very nice. They do well electrified, but I don't think they would be a good candidate for motorizing. A bent was the first bike I hit 35 MPH on a flat with, the one pictured is a Lightning Phantom. I keep one around, they're nice change-up. I don't ride the streets too much with them, pretty much side-walk it to the trail across my house. If you are stable on an upright bike, it doesn't take long to get good with a bent.

Attachments

• PHANTOM.jpg
    PHANTOM.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 88
I have ridden owned many of them, if you like bicycles these are another aspect of riding. They are very quick on flats and downhill, much less drag and way easier on your behind and neck, very relaxed riding. Little slower climbing but not bad. For exercise I love mine, we have recumbent tadpole trikes as well which are also very nice. They do well electrified, but I don't think they would be a good candidate for motorizing. A bent was the first bike I hit 35 MPH on a flat with, the one pictured is a Lightning Phantom. I keep one around, they're nice change-up. I don't ride the streets too much with them, pretty much side-walk it to the trail across my house. If you are stable on an upright bike, it doesn't take long to get good with a bent.
They look like they need a few pulse jet engines and a huge tank of kerosene. I bet you could really get moving on one of those bad boys.

I'd like to have a velomobile if I could afford one, virtually no aero drag, I've seen these do 40 MPH at human powered vehicle events. Basically a recumbent trike or bike under the skin.

Attachments

• VELO.jpg
    VELO.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 89
I've never ridden one, but I see they come in a couple different configurations. They have a low profile so are harder to be seen by traffic, a local guy got killed on one for that very reason. There was a tractor/trailer waiting at a light to make a right turn, the DA on the recumbent pulled right up beside the semi and didn't bother to check the blinkers. Right on red is legal, so when the road was clear the semi went.
Right on red isn't legal for large vehicles. Large trucks have to swing wide just to make right turns at intersections. That being said the bent rider shouldn't have pulled up beside of the truck either. The bent rider should've stopped behind the truck like any other vehicle would have. If the bent rider was in front of the truck they should've controlled the lane by staying in the center of it.

I'd like to have a velomobile if I could afford one, virtually no aero drag, I've seen these do 40 MPH at human powered vehicle events. Basically a recumbent trike or bike under the skin.
I always wanted to do a streamline

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220121-181056.png
    Screenshot_20220121-181056.png
    585 KB · Views: 90
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot_20220121-181350.png
    Screenshot_20220121-181350.png
    327.6 KB · Views: 94
My question is are recumbents stable, and also do they have good brakes? are they good for going really really fast? ive never ridden one before. do they go offroad? can you put wide tires on em? what does the steering knuckles and spindles look like? do they have/can you make suspension
Stable? I rode the 2 wheeler recumbant in my park that a lady had, it was different i'd say it would take a few days to get used to but prolly not ride it much on the roads cuz it was so low...

I rode another one that had 2 wheels in front and 1 in back now that was pretty nice right there!
Same situation though, very low and even cars/trucks on the park roads/paths seemed to not notice.

Brakes?

That depends on what you Decide to put on the recumbent bicycle, eh?
I think you actually know the answer to the rest of your questions LOL

Ride Safe Bud!! :cool:

HP

Back