Best brakes?

Matt Barrack

Local time
5:24 PM
What would you say are the best brakes I could put on a motorized bike? I don't know if this matters, but I ride pretty fast when I can, sometimes I go off-roading, and in my town there are a lot of steep hills. Right now I have V-brakes on both my wheels. What would be the best brakes to put on? I heard disc brakes are good but is there a way to put them on since the sprocket is in the way? Should I put discs on my front wheel and rim brakes on the back? Any advice is appreciated. :)

Ive seen people run coaster brakes on the rear and disc on the front.

Mine that I am building is using disc front and rear. But I planned for that from the start of my project when I picked the frame out I would be using.

Ive seen people run coaster brakes on the rear and disc on the front.

Mine that I am building is using disc front and rear. But I planned for that from the start of my project when I picked the frame out I would be using.
Yeah I heard disc brakes are good. If I were to use disc brakes in the rear, would they get in the way of the sprocket? Or at this point should I just put discs in the front and keep my rim brakes in the rear?

Yeah I heard disc brakes are good. If I were to use disc brakes in the rear, would they get in the way of the sprocket? Or at this point should I just put discs in the front and keep my rim brakes in the rear?

I couldn't say when it comes to the spoke mounted sprockets. I invested in the 61mm HD Grubee axle which comes with a threaded flange to thread the sprocket and disc brake rotor onto the hub itself and it clears. I even took and shaved off 2mm off my disc brake flange so I could get an additional 2mm shift to the left for tire alignment.

Back