Easy one, checking oil

artmaker

Local time
11:12 PM
Hi all,

My titan huasheng 4 stroke motor is still what I'd call new. Didn't get a full season out of it last year,
new clutch, trans…. yada yada later….

Now I couldn't keep it running… tried somewhat working on the carb, ran good for a tiny bit then simply will not start. Working on the carb more completely now (there is a whole other thread about this) and just thought I'd check the oil.

Now… the oil cap/dipstick as you all probably know, screws into it's hole darn near a full inch.
SO… when checking the oil, do you screw it all the way in then back out again? OR just push the dip stick part in up to the threads?

Also is there a way to change the oil on these? Seems the oil I pulled out on the dip stick is black. Oil out of the bottle is golden.

Ok, it's good then.
Too bad it won't matter. I can NOT get this ¶§∞∞¢® to start. Just totally cleaned the carb, new gaskets, new fuel filter. Not that any of it really looked bad.
NO start. No fire. Not even trying.
I never had near the problems with my 2 stroke. Whole lot of money down the toilet with this "upgrade." Phoey.
I need to find a mechanic to look at this. I don't know what else to do.

Is your kill switch turned on or off? You need to get the spark issue solved step 1. If needed totally disconnect the kill switch, getting spark now? If so spray some quick start into the carb throat and see if it fires up for a moment. If it does then you need to fix a fuel issue. Is the bowl full of fuel? If not you have a gas cap vent issue or clogged gas line. If bowl is full you need to clean the carb again and get all the jets cleaned thoroughly. Hope this helps.

As far as the oil level it needs to be level with the bottom of the threads in the fill hole. Make sure motor is level when checking.

Kill switch is a spring loaded button on the handgrip always off. In fact you have to hold it in for a few seconds to kill the motor. But I'll look and see if something isn't crossed there. Doubt it, this thing WAS running before I started fooling with the carb. Just died if I let off the gas or idling. First attempt at cleaning the carb, I couldn't get the bowl off without mangling the gaskets. Got to ONE jet and put it all back. Bought something called START and put that in the gas. It ran, I thought much better, not dying every time I let off the gas at least. Only went around town, (like 4 square blocks, tiny town.) Until I got back home, then it died and is giving me fits trying to restart ever since.
So took the carb off again. Bought new gaskets. Got the bucket off with my new impact driver tool. My neighbor showed me how to be sure all the rubber rings and what not are off, and we soaked it in carb cleaner, actually for two days!
I used my compressor to blast it dry, and with new gaskets put it all back together.
Nothing. Fuel went down the line just fine too. It's not even trying to fire.

I know he has some starter stuff…. I'll see if he has some time tomorrow. I'm not holding out any hope though. Very disappointed. I love riding that thing on Memorial day. Got my flags on it and everything. This will be the second year I miss it.

And yes, it's level.
is there a way to do an oil change? I swear that oil looked black. Hope something didn't ruin the motor itself.

You missed most of this saga. The clutch cover (home made piece of crap) let all manner of gunk inside the clutch. All been replaced now. New heavy duty clutch, new transmission….
Can road crud make it's way inside the motor through the clutch?

Those red button kill switches can short out or not work when you push the button in. I've had 2 that were bad. If you disconnect it then your sure it's not part of the problem. It seems your getting spark from your posts and you have a fuel issue fo shoo.

Oil change? Use the drain that's located below/near the fill hole.

It seems your getting spark from your posts and you have a fuel issue fo shoo.

Hey! Could this be a vacuum line?????
Neighbor came over, I told him when I was putting the carb back onto the motor I found a black line coming from the motor. I could swear I never removed that from the carb BUT….
He said it looks like a vacuum line…. then we saw a nib on the bottom of the bucket. I'll put up a picture of that. I'll have to take the thing apart again to rotate that so we can plug it in but he thinks that' what controls the float. He said if I take it apart and there is no fuel in the bucket… could be because this line isn't attached.

Could this be that simple? Perhaps this line was starting to come loose when I was first having problems and at some point fell off.

Got a busy day tomorrow, I might not get to play with this till evening… hoping to get some insight here first. (Hate the thought of taking it all apart AGAIN. shees.
At least I never glued the gaskets in place. Almost did that.

photo is looking up at the underside of the bucket… see the little nib thing coming off the adjustment screw? That.

Attachments

• IMG_0457.JPG
    IMG_0457.JPG
    220.9 KB · Views: 142
The tube w/nub on it in the pic is for draining the bowl when you loosen the drain screw with a reg screw driver. Where is your line coming from the fuel tank to the carb? It should be in your face and see if it's hooked up. Your carb bowl will have an overflow tube coming out of it near the top of the bowl, don't confuse that with your gas inlet which is brass.

Back