eBike with no pedals

Battery runs out just Flinstone it! The electric bike I had weighed about 75lbs and was like pedaling a truck with no power, no fun. That's why knowing your range is important so you know when to turn around and go back. If the batts weren't so expensive an extra batt is the answer but $1400 [52v 19ah and battery is fitted to only that bike] is a lot. Just for the extra batt. That's why I'm back at a gas motor, only limit is amount of fuel hauled and knowing where fuel stations are.
You are so right, I built this to be doing something fun and for local travels, 10 miles out and 10 miles back, but then I wanted to go faster and further so I built the Motorized Scooter and the wife rode the eBike, but the DMV has started to change the rules so now they call it a scooter, a eScooter, BUT I have never been stopped...

I heard good things from some folks that have been using EV batteries specifically used Chevy Volt batteries in 44V configurations and 2kWh. I mean if those batteries are good enough to power a car probably crazy good for bikes. Key is to find them with low mileage and its pretty cheap like $300-400 for 44V 2kWh. I might try to do this in the spring.

OK, Last week took the battery box away from the machinist and will ready it for the welding/Sheetmetal guy. I centered the box and drilled the mount holes and where the wires will go. Ohhh the batteries weigh 22.6 lbs. each...

Attachments

• HPIM4181.JPG
    HPIM4181.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 421
Thank you guys for following along and being aware of the many changes to the Vehiclel Code book, Laws do change over the years, don't they? What were the laws in 2013? Now they call it a "electric scooter" because of the platform, I now call it a eMotorized Scooter and that IS in the Ca. DMV handbook and Vehicle code book...

Back