Extreme rattling when idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's running good now and showing off its unbalanced crank now that it actually works well... Most stock are unbalanced right from the factory.
Skyhawk's have balanced cranks from the factory, part of why I use them.

Regarding your build Bbish, have you done the 'Shove Test' on it?

Put one hand on the head, the other on the top bar above it, and shove the engine back and forth as hard as you can.
If the engine moves AT ALL that is a fail that will get worse with time.

It helps to post a good pic of your build but I suggest you start there as it's easy to mount an engine solid with the the right parts.
Let us know if yours passed or failed the Shove test.

So today I took off the head gasket and replaced it and it completely fixed the problem.

0129171653.jpg
0129171654.jpg

Attachments

• 0129171653.jpg
    0129171653.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 91
Does anyone know why it is leaking oil in that area? I thought it was the base gasket but I replaced it and it still leaks.

Some times the fit between the cylinder and the case are not squared flush to each other!A double base gasket or thicker more maluable material could be used!Or deck case halfs flat and make up the loss of material by taking the same amount off bottom of cylinder mating surface !

Some times the fit between the cylinder and the case are not squared flush to each other!A double base gasket or thicker more maluable material could be used!Or deck case halfs flat and make up the loss of material by taking the same amount off bottom of cylinder mating surface !
Wait? Deck the crank case (lowering the cylinder) and then lower the cylinder further by taking an equal amount off the cylinder to compensate?

Not sure what I'm missing but I will note the poster doesn't want to break the engine open again and go even further with removing his crank...

Yea that's a little complicated... Will it effect it at all ?

Perhaps the leak is from a small crack in the case or cylinder, or the stud hole might drive right through into the crankcase, and it's seeping from there along the stud threads. Are you certain it's unburnt fuel and oil not already burned? If it's burned its cylinder related, unburned and it's before the transfers,meaning lower cylinder and crankcase.

I can't tell for sure, how do I know if it is burned or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back