Finally got out of the neighborhood with Predator 212cc stock on Meridian trike.

I think the aluminum threads or the cheep bolts are stretching. Making it seem like the bolts back off and come loose.

Get stronger longer bolts and make em go all the way through the adaptor and put a lock nut on it.
You got a good point there. I will probably have to drill out the threads and use a set of bolts and nuts. This projects needs continuous watering it seems. There goes my dreams and aspirations of having a motor-cycle shop 🤦‍♂️

Also, read up on those nylon locking nuts and they ain't that great especially after the initial bite. their pretty regular nuts once you use them more than once. Same article is where I got to use safety wire more extensively with more unorthodox uses for it as well, similar to what Chainlube eluded to earlier.

Also, double nut, no not what you did last weekend dirty boy, follow the picture is another good method of nut retention(well thats harder)
1613104523422.png

For more permanence just a little baby tack weld will do ya.

Last edited:
LOL Harleys are probably the best test for locktite 🤣. Sorry I've only rode jap bikes most of my life and laughed at the neighbors who had HDs.
Some the fu<k I still ended up with one....🤷‍♂️
View attachment 103502

"will redo once the locktite comes in" It has been ordered but I'm using safety wire in its absence "for testing purposes". Yes, I thought of addressing what safety wire was made for but I thought I put enough break crumbs down for most of us....🙄 Watch out for that bouncing betty...was said by the closest to Bob...
I love Harleys but I also love Rice Burners too
I got a Japanese bike, She's a Classic Star Cruiser
I've put over 184,000 miles on her in 10 years
The Japanese make a good M/C (y)

DSCF3345.JPG

You got a good point there. I will probably have to drill out the threads and use a set of bolts and nuts. This projects needs continuous watering it seems. There goes my dreams and aspirations of having a motor-cycle shop 🤦‍♂️

Also, read up on those nylon locking nuts and they ain't that great especially after the initial bite. their pretty regular nuts once you use them more than once. Same article is where I got to use safety wire more extensively with more unorthodox uses for it as well, similar to what Chainlube eluded to earlier

I reuse nylon locknuts all the time and they work just fine. It's if ya use em in high temp areas then then they loose their stuff.

There are high temp locknuts, Instead of nylon they use a metal type of split ring. Or use Stover nuts, Jam nuts or double nut.
But a little Loctite seems to work too. High Temp areas use High Temp Red loctite

Last edited:
I love Harleys but I also love Rice Burners too
I got a Japanese bike, She's a Classic Star Cruiser
I've put over 184,000 miles on her in 10 years
The Japanese make a good M/C (y)

View attachment 103504

I reuse nylon locknuts all the time and they work just fine. It's if ya use em in high temp areas then then they loose their stuff.

There are high temp locknuts, Instead of nylon they use a metal type of split ring. Or use Stover nuts, Jam nuts or double nut.
But a little Loctite seems to work too. High Temp areas use High Temp Red loctite
So you ride the Star when you really want to get some place and the Harley when you want to get some place but have some time if it poops on the way?

So you ride the Star when you really want to get some place and the Harley when you want to get some place but have some time if it poops on the way?

I've heard so many stories of folks getting their new his and hers Harleys and one of them always breaks. In one story the coworker was the wifey and she lost the gear selector on their maiden voyage and had to ride the bike in first gear all the way home she couldn't wait to come to work and tell us the story she was always bashing my bright yellow SV650s with "custom" muffler:: Poor jarhead with a hacksaw and some zip ties 😎 I cut my teeth on replacing the shoes on this bike too, forced to do so after checking out the prices for a shop to do so around there, NOVA. Out in the apt parking with a couple of spoons and a giant random piece of lumber to break the bead. Neighbors knew my crazy arse was out to save another nickel!

Rubber-band sprocket kit in. 44 tooth sprocket I knew you guys wanted a giant sprocket but was the largest common sprocket I could find. I guess I'll throw this one on the other side of the wheel with a different chain and have myself and version of a 2 speed. If anything the outside sprocket will give gladiator creds :
1613429710477.png

1613429464151.png

Dang,,, looks like alot of fun,,,, i have a brand new Meridian sitting idle,,, guess I'll strap a 198cc 4 speed honda engine on mine...
View attachment 102649

Ill gear it down for my off road stuff...
What kind of gear ratio would get the trike into the 30 too 35 mpr range top speed...
Hopefully 18 too 22 mpr at 2/3rd's throttle

Of course I can regulate my speeds with the built in 4 speed transmission...

Where did you find that speed chart,,, thats a kool tool...

Thanks for sharing...

Jt

How is your build going?

10t to 42t sprocket

I haven't fully opened her up yet. Been throttle shy since she was throwing chains every which a way on the old rig. I'll post top speed when the weather gets better.

Guys just realized I made a big Oopsie. For some reason I thought I was driving a 42t sprocket and just confirmed I've been driving a 36t. With a 3.600 ratio I'm surprised the 212 never stalled out on me and was able to reach 36mph before her "harmonics" seemed destructive.
1613431110486.png

Once I have the 44t sprocket on I certainly will have much easier take offs, that is if ol' predi' doesn't decide to eat all those sprockets off the bike.

At 4.400 I would safely assume she won't run so rough and should be closer to her torque curve. We'll see hopefully tomorrow if most of this darn snow goes away.

1613431305598.png

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back