Finally got out of the neighborhood with Predator 212cc stock on Meridian trike.

As a bike mechanic with a few thousand wheel builds this wheel is an accident waiting to happen. The small flange of the hub and the weak 14 gauge spokes being subject to 6 .something H.P. while being side loaded when turning at speed? 40 MPH? insanity. That wheel is going to collapse catastrophically, seriously injuring the owner. If any vehicle could use rebuilding the hubs with 12 gauge spokes it's this trike and the rims are really soft Chinese hoops, the damage from the last spoke warpage is still present in the rim. You need to stop riding this death trap.
I would just replace them with a couple M/C wheels, forget the skinny little bicycle wheels. 17" are around 22" diameter and 19" are a little bigger.

As a bike mechanic with a few thousand wheel builds this wheel is an accident waiting to happen. The small flange of the hub and the weak 14 gauge spokes being subject to 6 .something H.P. while being side loaded when turning at speed? 40 MPH? insanity. That wheel is going to collapse catastrophically, seriously injuring the owner. If any vehicle could use rebuilding the hubs with 12 gauge spokes it's this trike and the rims are really soft Chinese hoops, the damage from the last spoke warpage is still present in the rim. You need to stop riding this death trap.
Hi I've been looking for a more substantial wheel this hub is miniscule for this motor kit and as much as I love replacing spokes. I would love to crank on the throttle without waiting for the "sproooong" sound coming from below. The PC7 epoxy has held together but I'm guessing it has shifted/rotated around the hub without breaking. I have a propeller coming in for my PPG project and a battery for my 3k watt kit as well. So I'll have a few projects in the wings. I'm mostly excited about the PPG motor since I already have 2 other ebikes non this powerful tho.

I would just replace them with a couple M/C wheels, forget the skinny little bicycle wheels. 17" are around 22" diameter and 19" are a little bigger.
Yes, I really would like to setup a more robust system here. I'll probably try the rolled pin idea next if I'm not able to find a heavier wheel pair.

Why don't you go with a more solid wheel like an aluminum mag style wheel? And why worry about shimming the engine to tighten the chain when you can use a tensioner? Just asking.

Why don't you go with a more solid wheel like an aluminum mag style wheel? And why worry about shimming the engine to tighten the chain when you can use a tensioner? Just asking.

I'm using the stock items first and work on any issues that pop up. KISS, shimming the motor is cleaner than building a bracket for a tensioner. The double stacked rubber mounts are tensioners in themselves so no need for additional ones.

I built an e-trike using the Schwinn Meridian as a base unit; inexpensive, but a total mistake. As for the wheels, you'll probably never find any upgrade unless custom built. The axle has a unique d-shape, no keys, and impossible to find any hub that will slide on the axle properly. I ended up drilling out the hub holes, buying new rims and drilled them larger, and relaced the wheels using 12 gauge spokes. That stopped the spokes from breaking, but I was still limited as I had to use the original hubs.
As for that crazy d-shaped axle, another disaster. It is only 15 mm diameter (5/8") and quite weak. Even though on the online reviews I noticed that several people complained about axle breakage I thought it wouldn't happen to me. It did, at 25 mph in front of traffic from both directions. Luckily I got out of that one without so much as a scratch, but I took the remnants home, disassembled the bike, and sold the metal for scrap. I have no desire to ride something that obviously wanted to kill me.
If you have the resources, it's best to use an industrial tricycle that is built to handle 5 or 6 hundred pounds. I am using the Worksman right now; it has 11 gauge spokes, a 7/8" axle, and a frame that can take it.

Why don't you go with a more solid wheel like an aluminum mag style wheel? And why worry about shimming the engine to tighten the chain when you can use a tensioner? Just asking
I use the mag wheels and just custom cut my chains down to exact size to eliminate the tensioner entirely...one less thing to go wrong...pics below show bike with no tensioner whatsoever...lol...DAMIEN

Attachments

• IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 155
So I got the spring pins in. After drilling through the hub realized the size adapters were firmly epoxied onto the hub but had to order a 90 degree chuck to cut through the adapter and some of the wheel hub which was scary stuff because these hubs are tiny like the size on my thumb, ya I know spending lots of time and money trying to kill myself. Anywho, the hole ended up too loose at the top, so a wood screw for the rescue. Yes, its super jinky but ended up being the perfect solution. I finally broke into the 40s with the bike. So happy now. I think this project is done for now.

I have Mongoose fat bike coming in to receive my 3000watt hub motor that got the old frame up to 36mph. It feels more solid than the trike since the trike wallows with the roads curvature. Had to replace 6 spokes but she's running well now. Seems like my neighbors love it too.

Other project propeller bike will be started tomorrow. Hope not to lose my head with it! 🙄

1619833356321.png

1619833404466.png

Attachments

• 1619833311445.png
    1619833311445.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 155
  • 1619833355858.png
    1619833355858.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 138
  • 1619833378315.png
    1619833378315.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 157
I use the mag wheels and just custom cut my chains down to exact size to eliminate the tensioner entirely...one less thing to go wrong...pics below show bike with no tensioner whatsoever...lol...DAMIEN
I'm actually very happy with my tensioners now. I can quickly loosen two nuts and take the wheel or chain off quicker than ever before. Chains links have too much play and my stacked rubber mounts make for a great shock absorbers with the adjustable/tensioner mounts acting as the fulcrum. Really does the trick with this very thumpy motor. I think I can probably get her into the 50s but that's really asking for it. Around 40 seems to be sweet for her now. I am thankful to the person that had suggested the spring pin, it seems to really do the trick for me. I think the next thing that will go will be the CC. But, I have 2 other projects that'll be jumping into.

I wonder if utilizing a GoKart Live Axle Kit (1" shaft, pillow-block bearings) and a pair of mag wheels with their centers drilled and keyed to the axle....?

As an aside, a friend threw a Briggs 3hp on a similar trike with a centrifugal clutch and a 9>1 ratio.... what a thrilling ride, to say the least. I couldn't imagine a 212 on it.

Back