first build and new to site

this is my first build as the title states any input would be great. its an all aluminum from toy r us (good or bad choice??) the only thing that questions my is the coaster break ( good enough for stopping ??)

Attachments

• 1st.jpg
    1st.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 625
Not good enough for stopping! You need front and rear brakes on an mb. Should be ok w/ some simple front brakes and coaster.

A coaster brake lesson heard yesterday.

Jack came over to shoot the bull for a half hour, he had got a semi-do-it-yourselfer up and running after I sold the guy a wheel, ring and belt.

His stretch cruiser has coaster brakes, but he has an antique Worksman step thru that he motorized a few months ago.

We have been drenched for months, and a friend of his went down his modestly steep driveway on that Worksman, hit the coaster brakes at the end of the drive, and tumbled into the swampy ditch next to Jack's mailbox.

LESSON? Don't let friends or family try out a coaster braked bike, you may adjust to it fine and dandy, but it takes a lot of practice to relay from brains to feet for sudden or wet roads stopping.

There is no way to pass on your experience to a coaster brake rookie. It's not safe.

yea coaster brakes are like old tractor brakes, you have to put the pressure to them early on and gradually increase it for them to stop you. **** some kid was all over the bike path today and i had to swerve to miss his *** i grabbed the clutch and let me tell you that the bike handles way different with a motor inside the frame.

coaster brakes are fine if you take the time to appreciate the fact that they take longer to stop you, and dont forget to clutch!

I agree that a front brake of some kind makes you much safer. It's cheaper than massive dental work.

i have a disk brake off go ped ill fab on. rode for the first time tonite what a rush!! had trouble starting at first put my meter on every thing possable to find out clutch was too tight so it was slipping, then while ridding lost idle adjustment screw :eek: so durring the build i replaced all the bolts with allen heads and now one of the mag cover bolts replaced the idle adj screw also i put a jam nut on it :devilish:

I would say a coaster brake got me sideways twice and I avoided hitting the side of a car that was riding in the same direction along side me when he suddenly turned to his right up a side street. If it not had been for the coaster brake locking up the rear tire I would have surely hit the side of his vehicle and causing considerable damage to myself. A front brake is very good to have also, at most times the engine serves as a brake when the throttle is off, the compression slows you down in a significant way. Are you in Belair, Md just curious

The bike looks great. I really like the color. Everyone is right about the coaster brakes being dangerous. The problem with coaster brakes is you cant put your feet on the ground when you start to slide (and it's gonna slide if you lock it up), and your brain can't decide between BRAKE and FALL or STAND UP and CRASH. It's just not ideal.

Back