First four stroke-already issues

Sgt. Howard

Local time
4:28 PM
Silly me- got the thing running, barely broken in. 16 year old wants to go down to the mailbox and get the mail. It comes back with a broken pull-start handle and won't idle. WHAT THE HELL COULD HE HAVE DONE IN SUCH A SHORT DISTANCE?!? I've had the carb apart, cleaned, re-assembled... there are two clear hoses coming off the carb, one is the float chamber drain and the other comes off the top of the carb- I don't remember if this attached to something or supposed to drain, but it has seen gasoline. Finally got it to run, but the idle is WAY too high and it is running hot, like there is an air leak. Andrew (the 16 year old) swears he did nothing- he also lies like a rug.

Any ideas? What can an utter numbskull do to so affect a 4 stroke motor?

A friend is working on a brand new 4s from bikeberry, for no apparent reason the thing up and seized, can't budge it with the pull start.. My guess for you is probably an air leak, look for cracks. Unless something is really wrong with the carb, which could be.. Valve seals can get weird too, did you try compression test with valves in closed position?

Broken starter from having it not want to start for s**t and a frustrated teen yanking it frantically to start it when it just doesn't want to. Or maybe coincidence that it failed too. These things are pretty cheap after all and so some bad ones get through the net.

Pilot circuit gets plugged, you gotta clean it with a strand of wire

Starter handle is cheap hard plastic- he let it slam into the engine case after he pulled it.
Pilot circuit gets plugged, you gotta clean it with a strand of wire
What the bloody hell is a pilot circuit? And where does it exist?

I had the carb completely disassembled four times - I even oiled the gaskets to create a proper seal. All the ports were inspected and cleaned. Then I pulled the sparkplug- there was a light, fluffy deposit of dry carbon on it, like it had been running rich... yet it behaved as if it was running lean. Where had I seen that sort of deposit before?... then I remembered we have two-strokes on the property. I drained the remnant from the tank- it was BLUE!!! The little numbskull had put oil/gas mix in the tank!!! Problem solved...

Glad that issue is solved. I take it you are running black fuel line? I run clear line, if my engine dies while cruising i just glance at the line to see if i ran out of gas. Clear line woulda let you see the blue immediately. Be easy on the youngster, all kids act irrationally from time to time, he needs more years to learn to slow down and think before acting. We were all stupid kids at some point (i still am sometimes).

Back