Fix my Whizzer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

go-rebels

Local time
3:29 AM
2005 NE5 with mushroom lifters, 1 tooth advanced cam, copper head gasket and high compression, custom cast cylinder head from Quenton (spark plug points to the right) just with new spark plug just installed. Original 22mm carb, jets and everything else.

I took the bike on what would be a 12 mile ride but at the top of a decent sized hill one mile from home the bike began to lose power. Then the road leveled out and at 2 miles from home, going up a very slight hill the bike stalled, never to start.

I rode and walked Whizzer home and tried to fire 'er up. Nothing. I checked for spark and that was OK. Tried "Instant Start" through the carb and that didn't work. Compression is good.

I figure that I've fouled the spark plug but I'm having trouble getting the plug out as I just don't have enough clearance to get a standard 13/16" deep well socket around the 10mm head bolt (I really don't know how I got the plug tight in the first place). I'll get it out somehow tomorrow.

What else could it be???

Hi go-rebels,
The spark plug in your head is a 13/16". My spark plug socket has a thin wall where as my deep well socket has a thick wall.

Is the exhaust pipe changing color [blueing] as it exits the manifold? If all else fails, check to make sure the lifters are still in adjustment.

If you injected starting fluid and it didn't fire, it would seem the spark plug might be the problem.

You might want to grind a little from the top of the 10 MM bolt to make it easier next time you need to remove or install spark plug.

Keep us posted,

Last edited:
Exhaust is shiny chrome, so I suspect that, if anything, the motor is running rich. But would the factory set carb run so rich so as to foul a plug so badly that it would stop firing?

Yup, I'll chamfer a little off that 10mm bolt when I get it out. I think I have a spark plug socket somewhere... if not it will be another trip to the flea market to get a 12 pt 13/16" for some "modification".

If the plug looks good, then I'll need to check the lifters. Easy things first!

And if the intake lock nut loosened on the intake lifter, and the adjusting screw worked inself down into the lifter, then no amount of starting fluid will work becase the intake will never open.

The plug may still look good but may still be bad. I would try a new plug no matter how the old one looks.

Could be, but the plug is only 2 miles old! But then, the bike would not start when I first bought it and that plug had only 22 miles on it when it failed.

Whizzer Plugs

Hi I have not had any trouble with spark plugs, BUT you can. When you get a new plug, spend the extra money and get the Iridium plug, they really do work better at any time. I would suspect EITHER, or possibly both, the Key switch (yes it can and will kill spark if it is defective in any way (like salt air etc), or the kill switch. NOW I would try keyswitch first, remove tank, unplug the wires test the bike. Then the kill switch, remember, if you need to kill the engine with no electrics, just use compression release.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mike.
I have had Champion,Bosch, and NGK plugs brand new and bad right out of the box. It doesn't happen often but it has happened to me. You have been very lucky or I have been very unlucky. lol

Jim

Yes they do. What is the plug make and # you have now. I will try to cross reference it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back