Frankenbike function over form

You know mickal1025, it had occured to me a while back that your engine mount could possibly be adapted to the rear swingarm of a fully suspended bike.
There are some bikes out there that have a rear shock up out of the way and still have a decent V-frame so a mount like yours fastened/welded to the rear swingarm would keep the chain tensioned properly and allow for a decent rear suspension also.
Most likely still have lower vibration than a solidly fixed engine.

just for kicks. i took a quick look on the web but didnt see anything that looked like it had enough clearance. do you have a specific bike in mind? as far as im concerned the cushier the ride the better. are any of the bikes you where thinking of steel? for me steel would be a lot easier to work with (weld).

i broke 2 of the mounting studs from the original motor mount friday on the way to work. it was rattling like crazy but kept running till it got light enough to see what was wrong then i shut off the motor and peddled the rest of the way to work. put a temporary bolt in and made it home after work. tore the motor off today and replaced all the studs with new. when replacing the last stud i stripped the threads from the motor so now have to drill out to 17/64 and tap 5/16-24

Well I have looked around but couldnt find a good example of the bike style I was talking about but it has rear suspension and the rear shock is behind the seat post. up near the top bar and just about where the rear brakes would attach.
So the V part of the frame is still wide open.

how wide is the rear swingarm on one of those bikes? would you add the pivot mount plates to the outside of the swingarm or would you have to narrow the inside frame to put the pivot moute plates there?

Those bikes look like a regular mountain bike so everything is compact, very neat/tidy looking.

I believe this to be one magna 26" ridgeway you can barely see it in the picture on the target site but I have seen similar set ups and it has possiblities.

I was thinking of just making a rigid engine mount that attaches to the rear swingarm and moves with the suspension so the chain would stay properly tensioned and it would still be very similar to your pivoting engine mount design.

EDIT: This LINK (about half way down) has a perfect picture of the type of bike I think could be used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back