Future Phantom 85 space?

Al Regresar

Local time
7:01 AM
Damien,

Has an excellent idea with a photo of the aforementioned Mongoose Sycamore donor bike. The cardboard is roughly 9 x 9 inches. Will it fit? I humbly ask for advice of the experts.

Attachments

• 8275C7FD-9F53-4F76-9839-9DF3A4E77A6C.jpeg
    8275C7FD-9F53-4F76-9839-9DF3A4E77A6C.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 50
It looks like it should fit fine...Just always remember that if you hit any snags, be sure to always come here and ask questions, thats what we're here for and thats what we do...lol.

Is the frame aluminum or steel???...Thats gonna make a difference if your going to fit 3 spoke mags on it believe it or not.

If you can't tell for certain, just give it the magnet test...lol.

It looks like it should fit fine...Just always remember that if you hit any snags, be sure to always come here and ask questions, thats what we're here for and thats what we do...lol.

Is the frame aluminum or steel???...Thats gonna make a difference if your going to fit 3 spoke mags on it believe it or not.

If you can't tell for certain, just give it the magnet test...lol.
Thanks for the reply. I believe that it is steel. P.s. You are right about Commiefornia (off topic) but, there is hope.

I believe that it is steel
Your gonna need to be certain so whip out that old refrigerator magnet and find out...lol...If it IS aluminum, you may not be able to "stretch" out the rear fork enough to get the mag rim with the sprocket and disk brake rotor on it without cracking an aluminum fork frame so lets hope it is steel...lol.

Be aware that the multi-speed cluster and derailer would be replace with a single speed 22 tooth freewheel for the pedal side chain as well as needing to chain break the pedal chain to remove links in order to custom fit the new configuration...Thats all I see offhand at the moment.

You will find that the Mongoose Sycamore was made sometime in the 1990s so is probably around 25 years old now.

Don't use that frame, it will crack where th bottle mount holes are.
I know that some folks here in the forums have mentioned before how to overcome that problem with holes in the frame to avoid the cracking, hopefully some will be able to chime in about how it would be done properly with his frame.

Those mid 90s Mongoose Sycamore frames were made a little tougher than what is usually available today on entry level bike frames.

What is did to prevent vibration cracking was fill the tube with expansion foam, weld the holes, and wrap electrical tape around it to keep the engine vibration to a minimum

What is did to prevent vibration cracking was fill the tube with expansion foam, weld the holes, and wrap electrical tape around it to keep the engine vibration to a minimum
You have mentioned something about this in the past.

Back