Golden Eagle Bike Engine setup for a newbe

Hey Virginian,

Thanks for the pix and comments.
Your style of riding is like mine!
I will have to get some sort of bag to mount on the bike just like you are doing!
Very very cool build...
I had to deal with some mechanical issues with my bike not GEBE's kit. I think I have those issues handled. Now its time to mount the lights for my nighttime return commute from work.
Can I say as a really hard core pedal cyclist that I am addicted to this motored bike thing?
Seriously, I have been thinking about GEBE's great designs for a motorized bike.
Who is assisting who? Well I pedal hard on the hills and then its like I am coasting on the flats. That clutch mechinism of GEBE is quite good along with the belt and the drive ring. Its that system orientation that folks need to think about.
I am seriously impressed with this company's bike motors and there system to engage the simple bicycle's drive train.
And if I unhook the belt from the bike's drive ring its a total pedal bicycle. BTW I did do that and to pedal the bike that way with the weight of the kit it was only minimally noticeable. And it only takes a short time to do this. What's not to like here?
So GEBE's moto should be "If ya run out of gas you can pedal yer a#$s!"
And I am sticking to my story...

Kevin

Last edited:
One of the light weight bicycle touring trailers would also be a way to haul groceries or anything else. Most of them can handle around 100 or more lbs. I contacted GBE about a drive ring for a wheel with 48 spokes and they can't do it so I am going to go with the Staton axle mount for my tandem. I also like to pedal allot but for 20 years I have wondered if the wife was pedaling. This will help get rid of the anxiety.

Hey Virginian,

Can I say as a really hard core pedal cyclist that I am addicted to this motored bike thing?

Seriously, I have been thinking about GEBE's great designs for a motorized bike.
Who is assisting who? Well I pedal hard on the hills and then its like I am coasting on the flats. That clutch mechinism of GEBE is quite good along with the belt and the drive ring. Its that system orientation that folks need to think about.
I am seriously impressed with this company's bike motors and there system to engage the simple bicycle's drive train.
Kevin

Kevin

I know what you mean about addicted! The bike is just so fast and easy that it is astonishing - especially to a life-long pedal cyclist. I always wanted to bike faster and further than I ever actually could. Now I can. I love it!

And the GEBE system is great - very reliable and not too noisy. I have ridden it for over 3000 miles, and I have never had a breakdown that left me stranded. (One flat tire that I replaced on the road.) It's a big downer if you don't have total confidence that your bike can get you where you want to go.

Virginian

Kevin

I know what you mean about addicted! The bike is just so fast and easy that it is astonishing - especially to a life-long pedal cyclist. I always wanted to bike faster and further than I ever actually could. Now I can. I love it!

And the GEBE system is great - very reliable and not too noisy. I have ridden it for over 3000 miles, and I have never had a breakdown that left me stranded. (One flat tire that I replaced on the road.) It's a big downer if you don't have total confidence that your bike can get you where you want to go.

Virginian

You look very fit in your picture. Do you still ride the "pedal only" bike?
I still plan on that but my primary motivation to go motorized was my 64 mile round trip commute. BTW, that starts tomorrow! I got every thing set up. The lights,everything. I did a long 70 mile ride with the GEBE bike just to test everything out. I measured the fuel and I was real close to that 200mpg mark! And seriously the bike is just a lot of fun to ride around on!
And that was about the fastest and EZ ride that I have ever done. 25 plus average on a super head wind day!
I passed a couple of my spandex brothers out on the road and if looks could have killed....

Kevin

Hey Virginian,

I am going to write daily commentary on my blog about this motored bike thing.

<li><a href="http://thekettle-morainebiker.blogspot.com/">The Kettle Moraine Biker</a></li>

That is a link to my Blog.
you can read on my blog about my ultra cycling adventures on my "real" bicycle.
My longest ride this season was a 400k Brevet that ended up being 282 miles my longest ever one day ride.
Our bike club never ever charges extra for bonus miles! I am in the company of some of the finest ultra cyclists on the planet. Our club has the first winner of the Race Across America as its founder. A number of our members have completed both Paris Brest Paris and RAAM. Two of Ultra cyclings most prestigeous events. Even members of the spandex crowd need to economize.

Kevin

Last edited:
You look very fit in your picture. Do you still ride the "pedal only" bike?
I still plan on that but my primary motivation to go motorized was my 64 mile round trip commute. BTW, that starts tomorrow! I got every thing set up. The lights,everything. I did a long 70 mile ride with the GEBE bike just to test everything out. I measured the fuel and I was real close to that 200mpg mark! And seriously the bike is just a lot of fun to ride around on!
And that was about the fastest and EZ ride that I have ever done. 25 plus average on a super head wind day!
I passed a couple of my spandex brothers out on the road and if looks could have killed....

Kevin

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, I am pretty fit for a 67-year old guy, but I can't pedal nearly as fast or far as I could when I was in my 30's.

And yes, I still ride my pedal bikes (3 of them). I have ridden them 1900 miles this year compared to 3000 on my GEBE. Since my average motorized speed is more than twice my pedal speed, I spend more time riding my pedal bikes than my motorized bike. I use my pedal bikes mostly for social rides with friends. I have never met another motorized bicycle rider.

It is a lot of fun to pass the spandex guys. My GEBE is so fast they don't have a chance of keeping up. On hills I can pass them like they are standing still.

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, I am pretty fit for a 67-year old guy, but I can't pedal nearly as fast or far as I could when I was in my 30's.

And yes, I still ride my pedal bikes (3 of them). I have ridden them 1900 miles this year compared to 3000 on my GEBE. Since my average motorized speed is more than twice my pedal speed, I spend more time riding my pedal bikes than my motorized bike. I use my pedal bikes mostly for social rides with friends. I have never met another motorized bicycle rider.

It is a lot of fun to pass the spandex guys. My GEBE is so fast they don't have a chance of keeping up. On hills I can pass them like they are standing still.

Hey Virginian,

What I suggest you do before you fly by the spandex guys on the climbs is hit the kill switch right as you are flying by. They will never here ya coming.
He! He! I know they are fun to mess with.
Seriously, I have two full commuter days in on that GEBE. The winds have been tough but the weather mild.
I do pedal assist quite a lot on the hills and a little bit on the flats. Its a much tougher work out than I ever expected! Its kind of like mountain biking. Lots of pounding on the roads at 30 mph but its easy at the same time. The biggest bonus is that I am hardly sweated at the end of the commute. No cycling uniform needed.
The bottom line 8 dollars a day for fuel or 80 cents a day for fuel. I have done the math! Plus its fun and ya get a bunch of excersise if you want to.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Congrats on your GEBE system. I notice you live in snow country. Are you going to set it up so you can ride in winter?

There are people on this board that do just that. I think they use special tires, but not sure.

Mary

Hi Reb,

I don't live in snow country. I was posing the question for the guy who lives in Wisconsin. Thanks for answering.

Mary

Back