has anyone mounted a 47cc tanaka???

I have had discussions with people running the 47R but not on a GEBE. This engine is rated a 2.8 HP @ 8000 RPM and I believe that's conservative. It's got all the earmarks of a HP engine such a Zenoah or CY. They are very loud and will require additional silencing. The guy I emailed was deaf but said they were headache loud!

47r

I just installed the 47r and from 1 to 10 on the loud scale I would gine it a 5, not loud in my book. Just my 2 cents.

This is my 1st and only motor, I am considering doing my wifes bike with a 49cc honda. I like to over power every thing, so with the 14 tooth gear and large 2.2 tire I can cruse at 1/2 throtle and 25 mph. Rolling the 2.2 one revolution measures 8.3 ft the 2.0 8.0 so its like running a 15 tooth that is not available. I did have to shim the drive gear with 2 washers so the belt would clear the big tire. Still has plenty of pick up and I do pedal to get moving and I slowly apply the gas. Have not checked mpg as it is still new and breaking in.

There are many quite engines on the market, so "loud" is a relative term. A 47R will be quieter than a B52 at takeoff but much louder than a Mitsubishi.

Yea it is a little louder than the mitsubishi , but not much. next set up will be a honda 49cc, should be quieter than both.

The Is a Whole Lot

Of good about a 4700 T powered bike and a whole lot of not good, some of which has not happened yet.

Aside from losing fasteners, bent forks and fixing flats, it is the occasional dolt opening a door in front of the brake deprived rocket rider, that gives me pause.

Like Pete, I am too along in years to try it, but likely would not have done it 30 years ago either, after taking a (lucky) slide through a local intersection atop a motorcycle. I had to take bike down to avoid a collision with a local idiot who ran a stop sign. If rear brake had not been a good one, I would have been under that a--h--e's truck. (Amazing, but bike and I suffered no injuries, save a scruffy peg. Bike was sold the following week.)

Today I pedal along quietly and power up when going up the hill or out for some low-key fun cruising.

Bon chance, amigo! As noted, wear a hard, very hard hat. And have good insurance policy, including liability. Murphy's Law, you know!

tanaka 47r

hi.
i just join this forum today.

i read ur posting about bike w/ 47r tanaka engine .
i used to ride bladez moby with 40cc tanaka and it's fast enough .
maybe because i'm only 140. speed up to 30miles/ hour.

i never seen bicycle like urs.
i live in san francisco and never ride bicycle.
but since gas price keep go up; i'll buy one .

also wanna put 47 tanaka engine .

i wonder if u could share sometimes and give me more detail how do we start having bicycle with 47cc tanaka engine.

1. any specific bicycle that i need to buy ( fit tanaka engine )
2. any good or bed about bicycle with this engine ?
3. engine it self range $290-350 ?
4. what kind of concern if we put this engine to the bicycle
Maintenance ?
5 how much it's cost total ?

thz

Bike Frame Suggestion

You might see if you can find a Raleigh Gruv 2. They are out of production, semi crank forward (CF) frames that are going for $250, but were retailed at $400 or so in my neck of the woods (SE MN). The frame is perfect for install, and it has 26" mountain tires, 36 spokes etc.

I bought one and the GEBE kit goes on it with ease. I like things simple, for the most part, and not into fabricating frames etc. as I mostly pedal.

Pics of frame are located on this site.

Of course, there are scads of used Treks out there and other good mountain bikes. You can also check out local police auctions and neighborhood people who put repaired bikes out on their lawns every week-end in the warm weather.

Frankly, I would stay away from the cheaper production bikes. Speeding along at 15 to 30 MPH may not be fast, but a failure can hurt.

Use the search attribute on this site for good tricks, tires and short cuts from those who learned the hard way and were nice enough to pass on the information.

Two things I would suggest to save later grief:

Have GEBE supply you with a rim with heavy spokes and 9 inch rear axle. It is not that expensive and can be used as a switch wheel if necessary. The longer axle will offer much convenience later, with double nut locking the rack in place first.

Put a good rear tire on the rim, like a Specialized Armadillo or Schwalbe tire with Kevlar liners keeping both at 1.95 or so, or similar tire.

Forget the Slime stuff and tape the spoke nipples (which I did not do, but I do not motor much).

And, you will need to make up a longer throttle cable for any CF frame - also discussed on this site - but not for Treks or most cruisers. (Trek has some nice cruisers that have two brakes and gearing.)

And, do not be afraid to haggle on new bikes...even if it a seller's market at the moment.

Total cost? About $950 or less: $550 for complete engine kit, $100 for wheel, $250 for bike, $50 tire and misc.

Keep it simple and have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back