Honda GX-160 Extra Long Mike

Honda GX-160 Extra Long Bike

Attached should be photos of my bike. The most complete part that I have not taken apart, modified, bolted on, discarded, improved, or taped on is the one-piece basic frame. It came welded together.

Parts were gathered over time over many different purchases. I know because I have all the receipts.

My extra-long bike does run as you see it. But even as I write, it is being updated with a modified exhaust system and modified intake system to take those items out of the interference path of my legs when I pedal.

Last night, I changed out the quick-release hollow axle for a stainless steel solid axle and add-on chain tensioners. Now the rear wheel cannot shift sideways during hard acceleration.

As a side note (in reality, call it a gripe), when I took my wheel to two separate bike shops, the unimaginative wrenchers himmed and hawed and made up excuses why the axle swap could not be done: they don't know the thread pitch, they don't know the axle diameter, they may not have parts, yadda, yadda, yadda. (All they saw was the rear wheel.) I asked if they had some spare axles laying around. (Now they were visibly angry at me.) The showed me a box of used and new axles; I found a good one within 15 seconds, saw it was undamaged and bought it for $12 and took it home.

Once I started, the axle swap took about an hour while I was taking my time, studying how it was assembled. The wrenchers wanted $60 to "try". Poo on them. I can swap out axles under an hour now and can be assured it will work as good as factory new. In my case, better.

You can see a hint of tail lights. The basket holds a 12V sealed lead acid battery to power them. The handlebars hold three multi-LED headlights. I also wear a reflective vest and helmet. Drivers just move away from me as they pass.

Tires are puncture resistant "tire within a tire".

Disk brakes are an absolute must for me.

The seat is wide and comfy. This seat has over 1500 miles on it.

The very wide pedal shaft was necessary; from a bike parts vendor.

The 163cc Honda engine (no governor, performance cam, no oil sensor) is overkill.

The wooden engine platform is strong red oak. It is the only one in the world as far as I know. It will easily withstand engine torque.

The 5/8 inch diameter jackshaft uses two cast iron industrial pillow block bearings; overkill here.

Front shocks replaced solid forks.

Handlebar was custom selected from a local bike shop.

The extension was the back half of another mountain bike.

The motorcycle helmet is mandatory; I won't ride without it.

The centrifugal clutch is an improved version over a factory copy.

Have to run.... Just got another idea......

MikeJ

Attachments

• 100_1641.JPG
    100_1641.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 1,440
  • 100_1644.JPG
    100_1644.JPG
    249 KB · Views: 1,331
Last edited:
Hi Buzbikebklyn -

Yes, thanks, my bike does haul the "freight". If I placed this "freight" on a non-motorized bicycle, I would have to pedal about 325 hours or close to 5,000 miles to dissipate it.

I think I will motor the distance instead. Maybe do as some impressive builders have done and cruise through multiple states and finish the day with a big smile . . . .

MikeJ

I still like the laminated red oak motor mount plate.
Did you fab it up using some kind of epoxy and clamps?
If I might point out a few ideas?
Since its wood why not shape it a bit more sleek looking?
Paint it perhaps?
It might save on having to explain your choice of wood all the time.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Great job.
BBB

i have to second that gripe about the LBS not wanting to work on a bike because it was "motorized". i also wanted to replace my quick release skewer with a solid axle on a Diamondback MTB but they were very uncooperative when they saw that it was to go on a motorized bike. thanks for the pics on your build, you've taken thinking outside the box to another level. congrats on a very unique build!

I'll third that comment, I've found that many bike shops refuse to work on moto bikes... some kind of "bicycle purist" nonsense...
I guess that why we need the forums.
BBB

Have Only Went To One Local Shop A Couple Yrs Ago. They Have 2 Or 3 Stores Here. I Was Treated Normal, Very Well. Bought Some Used Bicycle Tools From The Mechanic.

He Came Out To My Truck And Got A Kick Out Of The Motor Bike. He Searched Thru The Dumpster And Found Me A Nice Front Suspension Fork.

That Is My Only Experience At A Lbs.

Ron

Gosh, I bet that bike, on nice level ground ,would out-run these 66cc China wonders? Uno, if the conditions were just right?

LoL--HELLO!!!~

Hi Guys -

Treewk - You just keep on texting any which way you need to see what you post. We can all overlook whatever compensation is necessary to deal with deteriorating eyesight. We may all be in your shoes someday.

Geebt48cc - Would this bike outrun a 66 cc? Well, in the right hands, it better! The Honda stock 163 cc engine has been dyno'd at 4.8 HP at 3600 rpm. This particular engine has a up-performanced cam, brag, brag, and more brag. Now, on top of that, which I never mentioned anywhere before, is the larger V-pulley, which I can swap out in literally seconds with different diameter pulleys. The result? If I drop the 9 inch pulley down to a 6 inch pulley, my speed loping along at 4000 rpm in second gear jumps from 31 mph to 46 mph. A small wind resistance guy should be able to maintain that. (All this is based upon spreadsheet calculations. If I ever reach 40 mph at any time, it will be unintentional or there is a bear behind me and closing in. Then I will push the throttle to wide-open...)

Talk at you later!
MikeJ

Thanks Guy`s

I Must Be Getting Too Touchy These Days!! Inside Too Much, Hot Weather.

Nabor Kids Are Upset About The Demise Of The Local Ice Creme Truck.

I`m Thinking Spell Check Is Artificial Intelligence, But Will Stay With It For A Bit Longer. Need A New Keyboard, This Old One Makes Way To Many Grammer Mistakes . I Never Aspired To Be A Grammarian. Seems It Would Be Handy Here.

Ron

Attachments

• HEAT WAVE MELTS TRUCK.JPG
    HEAT WAVE MELTS TRUCK.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 202
Back