HoughMade 71- done for now?

Higher resolution pics coming, but these will get the point across....I'm tired, but not tired in the bike.

Wanted to have a better background (a sunny Indiana corn field), but its pretty rainy here. That also means I ain't taking for its first ride fully completed- some day I'll ride in the wet- but not the first ride!

I welcome questions about what I did and how.

Attachments

• Bike-9 099-2.jpg
    Bike-9 099-2.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 1,716
  • Bike-9 100-2.jpg
    Bike-9 100-2.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 1,572
  • Bike-9 101-2.jpg
    Bike-9 101-2.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 1,011
So you used a Grubee Skyhawk transmission with a Honda 50 motor, right? What did you have to do to fit them together? Did you have to do anything to the shaft? Did you get a Honda 50 with a clutch or did the clutch come with the transmission? Did the transmission housing bolt on to the motor?
i have the same setup, with my hausheng 50 (same engine but generic) and it came with everything including the clutch. i just removed everything off the shaft, and unbolted the 4 bolts holding the gearbox on.

That's right. The Honda GXH50 bolted right up to the Skyhawk II- no mods or adapters needed. The gearbox came with the clutch. I had miles on this setup before I broke it down for paint, so I know it works- but everything fit together well when I put it together, I I pretty much had that figured out.

New, better pics- too much detail, can see the greasy smudges.

Attachments

• Bike-9-28 128.jpg
    Bike-9-28 128.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 952
  • Bike-9-28 129.jpg
    Bike-9-28 129.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 363
  • Bike-9-28 130.jpg
    Bike-9-28 130.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 395
A few more pics

Attachments

• Bike-9-28 131.jpg
    Bike-9-28 131.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 342
  • Bike-9-28 132.jpg
    Bike-9-28 132.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 331
  • Bike-9-28 133.jpg
    Bike-9-28 133.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 312
A couple of details.

Attachments

• Bike-9-28 135.jpg
    Bike-9-28 135.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 394
  • Bike-9-28 136.jpg
    Bike-9-28 136.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 336
Entertain the form of that!!!

HoughMade, The bike is utterly fantastic and a tribute to your patience and workmanship. I've downloaded all the pics I could get of it and am playing them as a slide show on my desktop. Please remind me what model of bike did you start out with, what was the air filter before it was an air filter and what bulb & output in that headlight?
This bike will have to be cleaned twice daily and will one day be sitting in a glass case in the Smithsonian.

Thanks for your kind words. Having seen your wonderful creations, it means all the more.

The bike started as a Huffy Santa Fe- fairly modern "beach cruiser", but the frame and gooseneck and severely altered seat post are the only original parts.

-The wheels are from Husky
-The Handlebars are fabricated from steel plumbing pipe
-The crank is from a 16" kid's bike
-The seat is an Ebay "special" that I upholstered with goat skin
-The headlight was a railroad lantern that once had a spotlight and a lantern light on top- the speedo is where the lantern light was
-For now, the light has a standard 3v flashlight bulb with 2 batteries in the light. I know this is utterly inadequate for night riding, but I do not ride at night. I am thinking or upgrading in the future
-The tires are white Kendas from Nashbar (thinking about Felt Quick Bricks)
-The pedals are from a '84 or thereabouts Free Spirit 3 speed I got in junior high

Like I said- very little of the original Huffy left.

The springer forks look unusual. Were they part of the Huffy Santa Fe?
Also I've not heard of anyone being able to use Felt Quick Brick 3" tyres with a Honda/Grubee cos of chain slapping on tyre but no doubt you'll be the first.
I like how you've hidden the grubee tray behind the HoughMade plate. Did you stove enamel that paint cos it looks like it's baked on with a hard gloss finish? How did you do the dark linework stripes on the frame?
About 28 years ago I painted a frame red and dried the paint in a home made oven made with plywood and lined with cooking foil with two electric twin bar heaters inside. It didn't reach oven temperatures but it dried the paint to a really hard gloss and looked lovely. I've often thought of trying it again except I don't have any twin bar heaters cos I don't need them here.
Also HoughMade, I see you have the 56T on it so if you get 33 mph out of that I wonder what you'd get out of a 48T. My Honda Schwinn wouldn't like a 56T and would rev too high and not reach more than 30 mph but I'm sure it would accellerate faster and probably wear my tyres out faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back