How many of have been hit by a car on a bike...

Loud pipes save lives. A sixth sense helps (you know that dwarf van is gonna pull out in front of you). I used to tape 1” ball bearings or spark plugs duc taped to handlebars to throw @ their windows...
While I don't agree with vandalizing someones property just because you think their in your way. You have to be the smarter driver when your on a motor bike or M/C. To assume there gonna hear ya just because you have loud pipes is a fools way to ride.
Let us know when ya get your Ass Kicked or Shot.

While I don't agree with vandalizing someones property just because you think their in your way. You have to be the smarter driver when your on a motor bike or M/C. To assume there gonna hear ya just because you have loud pipes is a fools way to ride.
Let us know when ya get your Ass Kicked or Shot.

I so agree with you there when one can buy refillable air horns that can be refilled with a bicycle pump. Then all you have to do is mount the A/H to your handlebar. These are more than loud enough to alert closed compartment vehicles they're potentially endangering you.

I would go with part 3 to take a lane claiming that the shoulder is ALWAYS full of debris, such as nails, screws and glass. Those fall in the category of "surface hazards".

I'm also on a cycling forum. Many don't fully understand what the far right law means. It has to do with lane sharing or multi through lanes. If the road isn't limited access, is opposing lanes only and isn't wide enough for lane sharing, then a cyclist has the right to use the full lane.

Studies have now shown if a lane that isn't wide enough for lane sharing then the safest place a cyclist can be is in the center of the lane. By being there a motorist must slow down and wait for a safe opportunity to pass.

If you ride to the far right on a road to narrow for lane sharing; motorist are more tempted to do squeeze by's, they'll also stop beside you at traffic lights and stop signs instead of behind you.

Now as for roadside debris, this is often the defense cyclist use for not using cycling lane with poorly designed infrastructure.

In many European countries the Cycling traffic makes up a very large percentage of traffic. Therefore the Cycling infrastructure is designed to provide a higher level of safety to cyclist. Many of the USA Cycling infrastructure is so poorly designed that it's much safer for a cyclist to ride in motor vehicle traffic than it is to use the Cycling lanes.

I'm not saying all USA Cycling infrastructure is bad; some is very good. You'd just have to know the area. As this applies to motorized bicycles some states in the USA will allow limited speed motorized vehicles in the Cycling lanes and some won't.

Last edited:
I so agree with you there when one can buy refillable air horns that can be refilled with a bicycle pump. Then all you have to do is mount the A/H to your handlebar. These are more than loud enough to alert closed compartment vehicles they're potentially endangering you.
I ride M/C with loud pipes and I ride M/C that are quiet. But when it counts, and some car don't See or Hear you and starts to come into your lane. That HORN works every time.
Then I usually pull up along side of the guy or gals window and give him or her a wave HI.
It's kinda funny, Some people act all scared and won't look over at me thinking I'm some kind of Outlaw Biker and gonna bash there mirror of flip them off. (Or maybe they think I'm gonna throw a Spark plug through their window LOL) When the nervous driver finally looks at me I always get a kick out of watching their expression of scared and nervousness turn into relief and happiness.
Don't forget if ya let them in they didn't cut ya off.

I have a 12v 1.5A Scooter Horn on my Whizzer Motorbike. New Gen. Whizzer Motorbikes have a Stator and a small 12v 1.5AH battery to run the Lights and Horn.

Air Horns are Awesome

I ride M/C with loud pipes and I ride M/C that are quiet. But when it counts, and some car don't See or Hear you and starts to come into your lane. That HORN works every time.
Then I usually pull up along side of the guy or gals window and give him or her a wave HI.
It's kinda funny, Some people act all scared and won't look over at me thinking I'm some kind of Outlaw Biker and gonna bash there mirror of flip them off. (Or maybe they think I'm gonna throw a Spark plug through their window LOL) When the nervous driver finally looks at me I always get a kick out of watching their expression of scared and nervousness turn into relief and happiness.
Don't forget if ya let them in they didn't cut ya off.

I have a 12v 1.5A Scooter Horn on my Whizzer Motorbike. New Gen. Whizzer Motorbikes have a Stator and a small 12v 1.5AH battery to run the Lights and Horn.

Air Horns are Awesome

A low volume horn is also advisable. You don't want to give some poor pedestrian or other cyclist a heart attack lol 😮🕪🚴

In my state I'm allowed on Greenways as long as my engine is off you're required to alert pedestrians or cyclist when passing them from behind.

A low volume horn is also advisable. You don't want to give some poor pedestrian or other cyclist a heart attack lol 😮🕪🚴
Yea, I also have a Hooga Horn on my handlebars. I have fun with that and Hooga at people all the time.

Attachments

• DSCF0342.JPG
    DSCF0342.JPG
    204 KB · Views: 136
AZ law does not make a distinction between a pedal bicycle and a motorized bicycle with an engine of 48cc, (NOT 49cc) The 48cc is to accommodate the 48cc Chinese engine kits. Anything above 48cc is illegal. Notice that §28-815 DOES NOT refer to a motorized bicycle. These laws are meant for ALL bicycles. If a cop sees you riding any bicycle in a reckless manner, they can stop you. They usually ignore pedal bicycles, but zero in on motorized bicycles because they hate them. If you are riding a motorized bicycle in AZ, especially in town, you had better be VERY careful, or you will get a ticket. Because so many motorized bicycle riders ride recklessly, too fast, or use loud expansion chamber exhausts, many politicians want to see them outlawed. The spandex crowd also hate them and want to see them gone. And they have a lot of political influence. Motorized bicycles are not meant to be motorcycles, and in no way meet the requirements of a motorcycle. They are supposed to be ridden the same as non motorized bicycles. That is why we don't have any laws pertaining specifically to motorized bicycles. Ride in the bike lanes or to the far right when possible, and do not ride any faster than pedal bicycles, and you will likely be ok. Push the limits, and you will pay. And unfortunately, so will all other law abiding motorized bicycle riders in the state.

AZ law does not make a distinction between a pedal bicycle and a motorized bicycle with an engine of 48cc, (NOT 49cc) The 48cc is to accommodate the 48cc Chinese engine kits. Anything above 48cc is illegal. Notice that §28-815 DOES NOT refer to a motorized bicycle. These laws are meant for ALL bicycles. If a cop sees you riding any bicycle in a reckless manner, they can stop you. They usually ignore pedal bicycles, but zero in on motorized bicycles because they hate them. If you are riding a motorized bicycle in AZ, especially in town, you had better be VERY careful, or you will get a ticket. Because so many motorized bicycle riders ride recklessly, too fast, or use loud expansion chamber exhausts, many politicians want to see them outlawed. The spandex crowd also hate them and want to see them gone. And they have a lot of political influence. Motorized bicycles are not meant to be motorcycles, and in no way meet the requirements of a motorcycle. They are supposed to be ridden the same as non motorized bicycles. That is why we don't have any laws pertaining specifically to motorized bicycles. Ride in the bike lanes or to the far right when possible, and do not ride any faster than pedal bicycles, and you will likely be ok. Push the limits, and you will pay. And unfortunately, so will all other law abiding motorized bicycle riders in the state.

Arizona doesn't have laws specifically pertaining to motorized bicycles? What would you call this?

28-2516. Motorized gas powered bicycles or tricycles; definition
A. Notwithstanding any other provision of this title:
1. A certificate of title is not required for a motorized gas powered bicycle or tricycle.
2. Registration is not required for a motorized gas powered bicycle or tricycle.
3. Vehicle license tax is not imposed on a motorized gas powered bicycle or tricycle.
4. A motorized gas powered bicycle or tricycle is exempt from the provisions of section 28-964 relating to required equipment on motorcycles and motor-driven cycles and from the provisions of title 49, chapter 3, article 5 relating to vehicle emissions inspections.
5. A driver license is not required to operate a motorized gas powered bicycle or tricycle.
6. A motorized gas powered bicycle or tricycle may use rights-of-way designated for the exclusive use of bicycles.
7. A motorized gas powered bicycle or tricycle is not subject to chapter 9 of this title.
B. This section does not prohibit a local authority from adopting an ordinance that regulates or prohibits the operation of motorized gas powered bicycles or tricycles, except that a local authority shall not adopt an ordinance that requires registration and licensing of motorized gas powered bicycles or tricycles.
C. For the purposes of this section, "motorized gas powered bicycle or tricycle":
1. Means a bicycle or tricycle that is equipped with a helper motor that has a maximum piston displacement of forty-eight cubic centimeters or less, that may also be self-propelled and that is operated at speeds of less than twenty miles per hour.
2. Does not include an electric bicycle.

Now I will agree your state does only see one major difference between a motorized bicycle and a bicycle; that difference is the 20 mph speed limit restriction on motorized bicycles. I personally have spandex warrior friends who can reach speeds of 30+ mph on level ground using their $2000+ road bikes.

Let me be clear here in no way do I approve of reckless driving. I'm a firm believer in obeying all traffic laws. I'm a long standing contributor on Yahoo Answers Cycling section. There I've often scolded cyclist for recklessness. Bad cycling habits filters over into bad motorized bicycle habits which gets laws passed banning motorized bicycles.

Though I've had some close encounters with other vehicles I've never had a collision with another vehicle. The 10 things I listed is what I contribute to the reasons I haven't been in a multi vehicle collision. It's my desire all on here have safe and enjoyable rides.

Before joining YA Answers Cycling, I too was under the old belief cyclist were required to ride to the far right on any street. Also this was the safest place for them to be other than a bike lane. What the law is a cyclist should ride as closely as possible to the curb provided a cage can pass them without leaving the lane and still clear the cyclist by 3 feet. This is what's known as lane sharing. If a cage can't do this due to the lane being to narrow, then the safest place for the cyclist to be is in the center of the lane not near the curb.

Common sense, obeying traffic laws, mirrors, speedometer, duel volume horn(s) and at least hand signals will greatly reduce the chances of being in a multi vehicle collision.

with over 50 yrs of riding. if you ride with a defensive tatics. you'll be fine. know what is behind you in front of you,and to the side of you at all times.and always yield even if you have the right of way,and assume the every vehicle is going to.not see you , stop or turn rt in front of you,hit you, or cut you off. if a route is unsafe , take another one......race at a track not on the street...ride smart ,ride safe.

Back