How would I go about adapting a V brake to a triple tree fork?

bikejock

Local time
5:35 AM
I'm currently rebuilding my 4 stroke GT Dyno Deuce beach cruiser that I put together about 2 years ago. Rebuild/upgrades to the fuel system, drive train etc. are almost done. Would just need to get a new transmission. Also waiting on a sprocket adapter I ordered. I'm deciding whether or not I should bend that damn coaster brake arm (which is made out of pretty strong stuff) more than I already have to allow the bolts to pass & so I can use a 3 wide tire with a direct chain drive or do without a coaster brake arm all together & adapt a V brake to the front of the bike.

Problem is the bike has a triple tree fork which looks awesome but has no holes for a V brake mount & would kinda hate to have to drill into it. I would love to try adapting a disk brake to the front but that would require a whole new fork & a new hub & wheel which would be too expensive for me. But a good enough V brake would still be much cheaper than adapting a front disk brake to my bike. So does anyone have a solution for adapting a V brake to a triple tree fork?

I don't see why not to have both front v brake and rear coaster, or put a v brake on the rear too.
This photo is by HappyCheapskate. I kept it in an email since the question of how to mount a v brake comes up frequently. He used a v brake plate from a bmx shop. You could also get something similar by chopping up (or just unbolting) the arch brace from certain very cheap NRS (not-really-suspension) forks and attaching it, using hose clamps or similar, to the rear of your fork or seat stays. I don't think you would need the central fender mount hole for this.
1489608701652-673494871.jpg

I don't see why not to have both front v brake and rear coaster, or put a v brake on the rear too.
This photo is by HappyCheapskate. I kept it in an email since the question of how to mount a v brake comes up frequently. He used a v brake plate from a bmx shop. You could also get something similar by chopping up (or just unbolting) the arch brace from certain very cheap NRS (not-really-suspension) forks and attaching it, using hose clamps or similar, to the rear of your fork or seat stays. I don't think you would need the central fender mount hole for this.
View attachment 76994

That's a neat idea. I might try doing something similar to that on my bike. Hope it could fit on my triple tree fork. I would love having both front & rear brakes but problem with mounting on the rear of my bike is it has a 24x3 tire which is wider than normal bike tires so adapting a rear v brake would be much harder. The front wheel is a 26 with a 26x2.1 tire.

Also as I said the reason I might not be able to keep my coaster brake arm is because I have to space my sprocket out far enough for my chain to pass my tire so I might not be able to bend my brake arm out far enough for the arm to clear both the sprocket & the bolts.

Last edited:
Back