Keep SHREDDING spokes

lazar26

Local time
7:07 PM
Hey guys I’ve hit a stump here, metaphorically. 3 rims, all trashed or bent or broken. The first two were rag jointed with my sprocket, the cheap bit that comes with lots. The final rim here I used a hub adapter. Snapped on the 3rd ride. Anyone else got any ideas?
I have just all sorts of problems, I’m even scared to try Mag wheels as my gas bike frame (that came with mag wheels), the hub threads stripped out with 1 ride! Waiting on a warranty wheel. I just can’t catch a break with either of my bikes! Anyone know what size these screws are? I want to get a longer screw and throw a nut on the end.

first two pics are of my mag wheels and bolts, last picture is my other pile of bike (rim #2 with the nipples pulled through the rim) that can’t seem to keep a rim straight (29er). Any suggestions would be awesome!

Attachments

• 5DF4EF53-1DB9-4E7C-909B-B03F2DFE68D5.jpeg
    5DF4EF53-1DB9-4E7C-909B-B03F2DFE68D5.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 185
  • 66094ED5-2AA7-46DA-B53A-9619808CD773.jpeg
    66094ED5-2AA7-46DA-B53A-9619808CD773.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 170
  • DBCCA08B-27FB-4546-B72E-A337D6D78B5C.jpeg
    DBCCA08B-27FB-4546-B72E-A337D6D78B5C.jpeg
    248.3 KB · Views: 163
You need a steel wheel with heavier spokes.
If only that were easy haha. I’ve heard heavier spokes haven’t worked for people as well, they still tend to snap. I would hate to spend another $100 on a rim and blow it.

That bolt is way too short... When I was looking for mag wheels they told me I'd have to get longer bolts if I put a sprocket on it.

Funny as that’s the bolts they came with. I’m trying to find longer bolts that would fit!

If you haven’t noticed everybody says they replaced every bolt and thread locker them medium blue . That means even after market parts like chain tensioner, sprocket adaptor and so on. Ace hardware is good place or Lowe’s , Home Depot they all can match screws. Try Allen head bolts for most part. By the way nice to meet you. Hope this help . Be safe

Yes thank you! I found that they’re 5mm bolts. I live way out in the boonies so hard for me to get to anywhere that stocks in bulk such as that. I ordered a good amount of bolts and hoping they work. Same diameter and pitch so it’ll be mint.

If only that were easy haha. I’ve heard heavier spokes haven’t worked for people as well, they still tend to snap. I would hate to spend another $100 on a rim and blow it.
Just because it's a 29er doesn't mean you have to run a 29, a 26 will be just fine. Lots of those in steel.

Don't tell that to the rag joint users, they'll insist you assembled it wrong. Yep cheap chinese spokes can snap I had a 35cc 4 stroke popping the spokes at the nipples with a belt drive attached. Didn't know what it was at first. 12 gauge stainless spokes and a weinmann alloy rim. Try to make it so the sprocket doesn't touch the spokes at all.

I think that's a M6 and that is way to light for the gear it's for a disk break the best thing to do is get a 6 cog mag rim look closely at it that they are split cogs get in ebay and order a 18 hole gear of your choice 3 of those holes will take a heavy duty M10 bolt make sure you shove the bolts in from the left side all the way up to the head cuz if that chain ever falls off its gonna rip the bolts and bend your axle.

Back