Motorized Bicyclist Killed

Discussion in 'Travelling, Commuting & Safety' started by Cozmik Mezzenger, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Cozmik Mezzenger

Cozmik Mezzenger Active Member

Here is the link to the original story: LINK

November 29, 2016

METHUEN (CBS) — A person on a motorized bicycle was struck and killed on the on-ramp from Route 110 to I-495 in Methuen Tuesday afternoon, police said.

The crash happened around 1:30 p.m. Tuesday when the person on the bike went off the sidewalk for unknown reasons.

Police say the 58-year-old man from Methuen was on the bicycle on a sidewalk next to the tri-axle truck. Both were stopped for a red light. When the light turned green, the bicyclist and truck started forward and the bicyclist came off the sidewalk and struck the truck.
    “When I was coming over the bridge here, I just saw all the cops here, just the body laying on the ground, all the cops trying to do their job. It’s pretty sad how this happened,” witness Michael Ferraro of Methuen said.

Authorities said the truck driver didn’t realize he had hit anyone, but returned to the scene after another driver told him what had happened. He is identified as a 29-year-old man from Hudson, NH.

“They had the whole thing blocked off. I tried to get off the highway. The exit was blocked off. I had to go all the way around. I mean it’s crazy, stopping in the rain. That’s a pretty big truck. I mean I don’t know. That’s really sad,” Chris Pickles of Methuen told WBZ.

No charges have yet been filed against the truck driver.

State and Methuen Police continue to investigate the accident.

Jim Smith
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am also 58...

<
  2. CrazyDan

CrazyDan Well-Known Member

Another one within 10 miles of where I live, could have been me...

San Bernardino bicyclist killed in Redlands after being hit by 2 cars
    REDLANDS >> A 55-year-old San Bernardino man riding a motorized bicycle was killed around Saturday night after being struck by two vehicles, according to Redlands police.

The man was riding on Alabama Street north of Pioneer Street about 10:30 p.m. when he was hit by a passenger vehicle traveling south on Alabama, according to a Redlands police news release.

The vehicle, driven by a 20-year-old Highland man, left the scene of the accident.

But, two hours later, the driver reported his involvement in the accident to Redlands police, according to the release.

“The driver came into the police station and reported that he had been involved in the accident,” said Carl Baker, city spokesman, in an email Monday.

The man told police where he had parked his vehicle, Baker said. Police located his 2010 Subaru Impreza a short distance from the site.

The man has not been arrested, Baker said.

Shortly after the accident, the victim, who was lying in the roadway, was struck by a second car driving south on Alabama Street.

The driver of that vehicle remained at the scene until police and paramedics arrived, according to the release.

The driver of the first vehicle had already left the scene before the man was struck by the second vehicle, Baker said.

The victim was treated by paramedics before being transported to Loma Linda University Medical Center where he was pronounced dead a short time later, the release says.

The accident is still under investigation.

3. Frankenstein

Frankenstein Well-Known Member

That's crazy, I hope they ring the first guy with at least accidental manslaughter, if he hadn't fled and just called the police he really probably wouldn't have been hit by a second vehicle and would have been treated that much sooner and may have lived.

I know he turned himself in but that doesn't do too much good for all the people that lost him... If I was the second driver I'd of sued the first guy for causing so much trauma on myself if I was really that upset over it. You can't just leave bodies laying around on the road!

Cozmik Mezzenger likes this.
  4. CrazyDan

CrazyDan Well-Known Member

Sounds like loose fenders strikes again. Reinforce or remove them!
    WILLOW SPRINGS, Mo. — A Willow Springs man was killed Friday afternoon after the Highway Patrol says his motorized bicycle malfunctioned and ejected him from the vehicle.

46-year-old Pavel Nadtochayev was pronounced dead at the scene.

The Highway Patrol says the accident happened at 12:20 pm Friday on Private Road 5123, about 7 miles west of Pomona.

The death is 10th fatality for Troop G of the Highway Patrol for this year, compared to 2 at this time last year.