Mount Options For External Tank

Solux

Local time
2:46 AM
Hey guys, I've been thinking about this tank issue and I have an idea of what I want. Maybe you guys can give me some suggestions or options.

I want something like this F-style 1/2 gallon poly jug:

iu

This should be okay for holding gas right? I tested a 1 gallon with similar dimensions:

20200827-200814.jpg

So what I really want is a frame bag that this would fit in. Want to keep a clean look. If that's not an option, how else could I go about mounting something like this?

Thanks.

Last edited:
A set of rear panniers and bags mounted on your FD might work.
Or just one pannier on the right side.

No need for the rear rack, only the pannier(s).

Those aren't approved gas containers and can break down with alchy fuel. But two water bottle holders might keep it there.

A set of rear panniers and bags mounted on your FD might work.
Or just one pannier on the right side.

No need for the rear rack, only the pannier(s).
Yeah I thought about a pannier on the opposite side of the engine, but not sure how I would mount it.

My idea is to mount a flat plate using the long pivot bolt for the Uchannel on 1 side, then using the outer rear slide bolt to mount the other end. Then attach the tank to that plate. The plate only needs to be 1in tall, 16th thick and what ever the measurement is from pivot bolt to slide bolt. May need to adjust the plate as needed with washers for spacing but not many.

Pic in post 1 can give you a good idea of mounting on the right side. This tank is thick and only 2 bolts holding it would be sufficient.

Last edited:
Solux an idea I have is to use a tank mounted above the uchannel with only one out let tied into the OEM tank return line with a T connector. Above tank would always keep bottom tank full. Only issue is gas pouring out of the lower fill cap, it shouldn't though because it was designed to be operated in any position. Plus it's a Honda design, I'm just not 100% sure though. Do you get the concept? What are your thoughts?

Back