My finally finsihed John Deere Project!

My John Deere Project!

1230_DSCN3425_1.jpg

Finally done, I guess I am one of the few to try out these new 49cc 4-stroke kits. I made many modifications, and some additions, and thought the crew would like my comments.
The engine runs nice. No complaints there. I added some motor mounts by slicing off the rubber ends of some tire valves, because everyone complained about vibration. They work well.
1230_DSCN3438_1.jpg

I ditched the chain tensioner wheel but kept the bracket and added a spring loaded glide wheel made for a single speed bike. This really helps, as the spring jumps back and forth under accel/deaccelleration.
1230_DSCN3441_1.jpg

The decals came off a child's Peg-Prego JD pedal tractor. A 6v battery runs just the lights (rear turn signals, brake light and front lights) I added a solar charger to keep it charged instead of recharging it all the time from an AC outlet. With the Georgia sun, it stays charged.
1230_DSCN3430_1.jpg

I added a rear brake switch to the rear brake, so the rear light lights up when I hit the brake handle. I added 2 bulbs between the turn signal bulbs for this. I fashioned a few parts to run a double set of rear side-pull brakes, with a dual pull brake handle just for the rear. I don't think too many people have tried that, but I figured I needed more braking power.
1230_DSCN3429_1.jpg

The Dash of 3 switches controls the main power, lights, and power to the rear. One lights up a Green LED. I have a horn switch but have yet to find a good 6v horn yet. A mini compass fits in the middle stem. I even added a cordless radar detector! Everything on the bike is either Black, Yellow, or Green.
1230_DSCN3426_1.jpg

I am just using it around the island where I live, the speed limits are 25-35 so it is perfect. Added a double kick-stand, the kind from Switzerland. NICE Product! Bought a yellow JD embossed seat from Nirve for $25 to match. Did add some lithium grease to the transmission to quiet it down some. First I painted the engine and exhaust high-temp black (not the carb). After 100 miles, it has come off the exhaust tube. Added yellow reflective tape swatches. Still need a longer analog speedometer cable, as I added shocks which raised the bike up quite a bit, but the digital one works well for now.
1230_DSCN3432_1.jpg

Hope you like it, Lord knows the kids, both big and small, sure like it around here! I have had a blast riding it around!
1230_DSCN3437_1.jpg

Nothing runs like a deere, but nothing stinks like a john.That is a sweet looking bike though!

Deere Update New Gearbox

Well, the first generation Starfire gearbox lasted 1200 miles or so. What a piece of junk. The Centrifugal outer flywheel was less than a mm thick. It failed. The key on the driveshaft was less than 1/2" and ate into the driveshaft, but still ds useable. The new key is like 1.25" or more. Had to trim key slightly in rear to fit (not keyway but spring loaded flywheel). I switched to the Skyhawk II Whopper Stopper with clutch and what a difference! Before I had a top end of 23mph or so, now it does 32 easily! The freewheeling sprocket that drives the chain is a delight! I can't praise it enough, as it is a really well-machined piece of machinery. Quick transitition to clutch. Slow to start, but much better top end. It actually coasts, where before, the motor was tied in direct to the rear, but you could use it for braking, so what. I had to use the old gearbox motor bolts cut down, sleeve the smaller driveshaft, but that was no problem on the old 142F. The gasket blew because I overtightened the 2 inner mounting bolts of the gearbox first. Easy replace with old thinner gasket. I took off the double rear brake, and it stops better. Had to switch over to clutch on left, double brake handle on right. Replaced junk turn signal switch with 2 push buttons. Raised idle, leaned mix as the exhaust showed a good amount of carbon. Huge replacement solar panel on rear works great, 12v into a 6v system, which balances under load. Still looking for a good, loud non-relay 6v horn. Ready to roll. Johnny out

I have the Grubee gearbox too- I really like it- love your bike.

I used your valvestem rubber engine mount idea.

Is the first generation Starfire gearbox you refer to a JL Hoot?
I reckon it's time we started taking action against the vendors of these products. There must be some consumer protection authority that offers some protection against this sort of mullaekey.

She's a lovely bike Johnny and looks very comfy. Not going for mudguards then? Sorry to hear about the first gearbox. Hope the second one holds up better cos the motors are good.

I don't recommend the valve stem idea anymore unless the are cut thin. Mine kept cracking near sprocket, and firm placement of the engine overrode this. Then I started using a synthetic wine cork sliced in 4 pieces and this worked better. I finally switched to just a pair of thin neoprene washers that I can tighten down enough to hold engine firm.

Back