My finally finsihed John Deere Project!

My John Deere Project!

1230_DSCN3425_1.jpg

Finally done, I guess I am one of the few to try out these new 49cc 4-stroke kits. I made many modifications, and some additions, and thought the crew would like my comments.
The engine runs nice. No complaints there. I added some motor mounts by slicing off the rubber ends of some tire valves, because everyone complained about vibration. They work well.
1230_DSCN3438_1.jpg

I ditched the chain tensioner wheel but kept the bracket and added a spring loaded glide wheel made for a single speed bike. This really helps, as the spring jumps back and forth under accel/deaccelleration.
1230_DSCN3441_1.jpg

The decals came off a child's Peg-Prego JD pedal tractor. A 6v battery runs just the lights (rear turn signals, brake light and front lights) I added a solar charger to keep it charged instead of recharging it all the time from an AC outlet. With the Georgia sun, it stays charged.
1230_DSCN3430_1.jpg

I added a rear brake switch to the rear brake, so the rear light lights up when I hit the brake handle. I added 2 bulbs between the turn signal bulbs for this. I fashioned a few parts to run a double set of rear side-pull brakes, with a dual pull brake handle just for the rear. I don't think too many people have tried that, but I figured I needed more braking power.
1230_DSCN3429_1.jpg

The Dash of 3 switches controls the main power, lights, and power to the rear. One lights up a Green LED. I have a horn switch but have yet to find a good 6v horn yet. A mini compass fits in the middle stem. I even added a cordless radar detector! Everything on the bike is either Black, Yellow, or Green.
1230_DSCN3426_1.jpg

I am just using it around the island where I live, the speed limits are 25-35 so it is perfect. Added a double kick-stand, the kind from Switzerland. NICE Product! Bought a yellow JD embossed seat from Nirve for $25 to match. Did add some lithium grease to the transmission to quiet it down some. First I painted the engine and exhaust high-temp black (not the carb). After 100 miles, it has come off the exhaust tube. Added yellow reflective tape swatches. Still need a longer analog speedometer cable, as I added shocks which raised the bike up quite a bit, but the digital one works well for now.
1230_DSCN3432_1.jpg

Hope you like it, Lord knows the kids, both big and small, sure like it around here! I have had a blast riding it around!
1230_DSCN3437_1.jpg

Also, the first Hoot gearbox was just a first generation item, with minimal design. I would not touch it again, even the improved one, but it was fun for the one of the first of it's kind in the country. I consider the Grubee Starfire II WS to be a 3rd generation model, well-engineered. Using 90W gear oil now. Slightest leak around outer cover, even with a thick gasket and non-hardning gasket compound on both sides. Lets see how it holds up. With no fenders, I can't put in mudguards, but let me mull it over and figure it out. New pictures coming soon!

Originally Posted by JohnnyGA
....Mine kept cracking near sprocket, and firm placement of the engine overrode this...

What kept cracking? Thanks for the info

At first I used the cut-off bottom of valve stems for motor mounts, bottom of engine where it attaches to frame/mount. That is what kept cracking. Switched to slices of synthetic wine corks as motor mounts, which worked much better. Finally switched to 2 neoprene washers as motor mounts.

The single speed chain tensioner accessory is one of the best additions I have added to my bike. Ditch that stupid teflon wheel. Ebay sells them, search: Single speed chain tensioner, or just single speed chain. a cheap version of the surly singulator, around $21 delivered. Well worth it. The things flips back and forth with every bump, as well as a little with accel/deaccel. I now cruise with traffic, where I could not before. Have yet to be pulled over. Most speed limits around here 25, one stretch of 35. Had to add a lot of gasket compound around halfs of new gearbox before 90w gear oil finally decided to stay inside.

Bought a Burley Child's Bicycle Trailer for $15 at a yard sale and converted it into a John Deere Cart for the rear. Well made, lot to work with, just ripped out the old fabric that was trashed anyways, put in a hardboard (masonite) floor, sides and cut down the top tubing, painted it to match my bike and off to the grocery store I go at almost 35mph! Pictures to follow. Had to invent an "ablative" guide for the side of the chain to keep it from wearing into the sidewall of the tire. Used a long hard ACE comb where I cut off the tines and used the thick part. This keeps the chain in line and will wear off without damaging the chain.

Wow

Johnny, what can I say but WOW ! I just read this thread for the first time and I'm blown away by your work ! If the bike were mine, I'd add training wheels, only I'd use two rotary style mowers for wheels. Hmmm, double wide cut at 30mph....I could get my yard done in no time ! :LOL:
Seriously though, fantastic bike! You have a great eye for detail and function. Thanks for sharing !!! I look forward to seeing your trailer. I've been planning a trailer build for my bike as well.

That's awesome. did you buy the kid's tractor just for the stickers? I love the tractor seat. I wonder what the folks over at JD would think.
And to think, I thought I had the coolest John Deere.

I was thinking along the same lines.

I dunno what part of the country you're in, but if winter is a no-riding season for you, maybe you can "lease" your bike to John Deere as a advertising gimmick for their show room.

At least take some pix, and send 'em in!

Hey, you should also contact the guys at Orange County Chopper who do that motorcycle show on TV. I bet they'd love to see this beauty!

Cheers,

Brenton

Back