Need lots of help on a 1951 Schwinn.

I fear that the conduit clamp would not be strong enough. Check out the lowrider parts shops like Aztlan to see what they do for front brakes. Those bikes are based off traditional cruisers, so they might have some ideas.

So i got the engine kit and started the build today. I mounted the engine in the frame and already I have a problem, my pedals can't clear the muffler the way it is. I tried bending it a little but it's not working. Any suggestions?

actually I'm having a problem with the pedals clearing the engine, not just the exhaust I now find out. Does this mean this is the wrong bike to be using for motorizing, or can the pedals be tweaked out a bit to clear? Has anyone else done this? What do you do in this situation?

edit: after searching, I find that I have too narrow a crank... maybe this motor is destined for my mountain bike after all...bummer.

Last edited:
Well, you can order a wider crank, but that means the chain ring probably won't fit the new crank. The wide cranks I've seen have a hexagonal mount for the chain ring, so you'd have to change the chain ring over to the one designed for the wide crank. That means you'd have to then get a new rear sprocket for the (presumably New Departure) brake hub, as the existing chain ring and rear sprocket are of the skip-tooth (or one inch pitch) variety. The new chain ring would be for the more common (nowadays) 1/2 inch pitch chain. Not as hard to do as it sounds.

FYI the bike isn't a schwinn judging from the crank and Chain guard. On my last old school build I had to use a 33 tooth chain ring off a lowrider bike to get it to clear the Engin.

I'm going to order this:

bb033.jpg

and someone is sending me the crankset. hopefully this will work.

Update: everything is installed on the bike, except the Bulletproof adapter and the crank. (Thanks Scooter and Flatfender for the advice!) (from another forum)

I technically could start it and run it as is by just rolling it, but there would be no brakes. Maybe I can wait, or maybe I can't...we'll see ;)

here she is:

DtW3r1Gfgerfbi5ch7ITyNwGo1_400.jpg

DtW3r1GfgerfjfxgWHAIqoB9o1_400.jpg

DtW3r1GfgerfmckfqOKHzf0Eo1_400.jpg

DtW3r1Gfgerfqq3lvaY3TBLmo1_400.jpg

any advice on how to make it look more "old timey"?

I know I need some of these :

istockphoto_593801_vintage_aviator_hat_and_glasses.jpg

could a mod perhaps move this thread to a more appropriate forum, perhaps the picture gallery, and title it '51 Schwinn Build?

new pics: I added a rear rack (borrowed from sister's old bike ;) for panniers and the BB came. Now I just need that crankset from Scooter and I'll be all set.

DtW3r1GfgevoihrvFYzXXiEqo1_400.jpg

DtW3r1GfgevonjcpIUde1wvFo1_400.jpg

DtW3r1GfgevoscoeDrYUr2yco1_400.jpg

Back