Need lots of help on a 1951 Schwinn.

That's a sweet looking build! Great use of an old Schwinn.

As far as the front brake goes, you might want to spend some money and get a wheel with a drum brake hub. Probably cost well over a hundred dollars, but well worth it if it keeps you out of trouble on the road.

Your other option is to find another flat blade Schwinn middleweight fork that's drilled to accept a front brake.

Cheers, Geoff

Re the motor - biggest displacement would likely be the 138cc whizzer motor..

Kit set up for CIF engine would be 80cc (67cc volumetric) with SBP shifter kit - although in that case you'd need to fit up a derailler/cassette and the relevant rear wheel..

GEBE or Staton rack mounts - largest would be either a 40 or a 47 cc two stroke... most powerful would be the DDM 4.25hp 30CC motor which will fit both..

Hope that helped

Jemma xx

why reply to a noob with abbreviations??

You are the guy needing wider crank? Had I known that I would have suggested the Huffey Cranbrook crank. My Schwinn wouldn't clear either and that was my solution. I had bought a Cranbrook from Wallyworld to finish a build and that was left over.. I also used a little girl's sprocket since the motor nested in the Schwinn too low to clear a full-sized sprocket. More power anyhow. Keith (trackfodder) Williams

New pics w/ saddle bags from TSC:

DtW3r1Gfgf18w2g7FhplvOUZo1_400.jpg

DtW3r1Gfgf18zqylIniu02Plo1_400.jpg

oh yeah, good news, it runs. We pop started it by rolling it down the wheel chair ramp here at the store and we did laps around the parking lot. Not too fast, we only had two size 11's for braking power. It seems to start easily and run good. I am pleased. With it sitting here at the store, everybody asks about it and it takes old people back to the good ol' days. I am very happy so far.

here's a cheap idea for making a headlight. 1 cheap LED flashlight + 2 3/4" conduit hangers= headlight

DtW3r1Gfgf19452vRVCNOoS8o1_400.jpg

After doing some research online, I found that using the existing killswitch on the motored bicycle kit, grounds out the coil, which can wear them out too fast. I wire up a different switch which only cuts power going to the coil. This will be much nicer to the coil. I made a switch plate out of plexi-glas and mounted it to the screws holding the CDI. neat.

DtW3r1Gfgf2pr8551fDqcj9eo1_400.jpg

Well, I went upstairs at the hardware store to go treasure hunting and look what I found! The original tanks for the old Schwinn! SWEET. Also, there is an electric horn inside that still works. beep beep!

DtW3r1Gfgf2py0l5mkKmlZR7o1_400.jpg

DtW3r1Gfgf6y1b81ODZ4PDfSo1_400.jpg

got a longer one piece crank from another bike and a nicer seat.

DtW3r1Gfgf6y7k8eWQoTfmSPo1_400.jpg

checked my speed on my fancy speedometer. I was alternating my speeds, my top speed was about 23 MPH.

Back