New Throttle Idea.

Get a nice billet aluminum one on eBay, it has a nice little bearing in it too it should work for you fine.

The plastic throttle thing never jived with me, I really do like that good one though it's a decent upgrade.
You have a link, item # or pic so I can see exactly what your referring to?

You have a link, item # or pic so I can see exactly what your referring to?

Frankenstein said there are billet ones on ebay. Here is a detailed process on how to obtain a link.

Step 1: Search ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_od....TRS0&_nkw=aluminum+scooter+throttle&_sacat=0

Here is my setup from ebay. It's the one with the bearing like Frankenstein recommended. You will need a scooter light toggle switch for the kill.

30w36h4.jpg

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Frankenstein said there are billet ones on ebay. Here is a detailed process on how to obtain a link.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_od....TRS0&_nkw=aluminum+scooter+throttle&_sacat=0

Here is my setup from ebay. It's the one with the bearing like Frankenstein recommended. You will need a scooter light toggle switch for the kill.

30w36h4.jpg
Standard MC after market throtle assys will bolt right up. Only difference is to get one with a Straight dropout. Not a 90 degree bend at the dropout. Your stock cable isnt long enough then.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.

30w36h4.jpg
Ok this is great info, I just need to make sure it will fit my handle bars. I purchased the basic throttle replacement off of eBay and it was to large so I have to check the diameter off the handlebars. I was trying to come up with a way to make the ones I currently have work but whatever I tried it would prevent the throttle from turning. I have a thumb throttle at the moment that I personally hate so I'm definitely looking for one that's like the one pictured.

My first mini bike was made from a 20 inch bike frame, on a budget of a paperboy. I used to scrounge the local bike shop for parts. I found a used front brake lever assembly. Brought it home, and cut off have the length of the brake lever. Then I cut a notch in the body, so I could fit in a large washer that had a center 1" hole. Used my dad's old electric solder iron, and used acid cord solder to secure washer to brake handle. This became my throttle, placing index finger in hole and moving finger to increase rpm of Power Products 2 stroke engine, v plex clutch belt drive system. Twist grip throttles were out of my price range and this throttle control was made in a couple of hours in out garage.

Very creative. I'm currently using my thumb throttle until the new throttle I just ordered comes in. I did finally figure out how to make my stock throttle fit but I think my throttle cable was to tight because when I pulled on the throttle it actually pulled the throttle cable through the plastic housing and stripped it out. Because of this reason I now ordered a metal throttle housing/handle.

you know that little metal nub on the inside of the throttle grip? drill a hole(~3mm,1/8) in your handle bar for it to go into, throttle will never move

Very creative. I'm currently using my thumb throttle until the new throttle I just ordered comes in. I did finally figure out how to make my stock throttle fit but I think my throttle cable was to tight because when I pulled on the throttle it actually pulled the throttle cable through the plastic housing and stripped it out. Because of this reason I now ordered a metal throttle housing/handle.
This was a "stamped" handle made out of steel. It was not an solid alloy by any means. So soldering it took time but held well once completed. I rode that minibike for some almost 3 years without that washer coming loose from that old soldering iron.

My throttle sucks. I cant seem to get it right. Sometimes it's firm and sometimes it's not. Today my friend was taking it for a spin and it went limp and couldn't stop!

I'm wondering if this would work;
Instead of keeping the twist throttle, what if I put the throttle cable on a brake lever and used that? Would it work? It seems like it, since all it would do is pull the cable.

ALSO - I would keep the killswitch on, just no throttle handle.

My front and rear brakes are activated with one brake lever.

I've used the other brake lever as my throttle for years.

Back