Playing by the rules?!

Discussion in 'Laws, Legislation & Emissions' started by PiousPedals, Oct 2, 2007.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. PiousPedals

    PiousPedals Guest

    I can't believe I just titled this thread like that... :)

    So we all know every little loop hole that the law allows for us to use or not use our super fuel efficient (and way more fun than a lousy squad car) vehicles...

    My question is; Has anyone tried to make their engine assisted bicycles complient with "moped" laws? :yuck: i.e. installed brakes lights, turn signals horn and all that unneeded stuff :-x on our BICYCLES

    Do you have photos of your installations, where did you get the parts?

  2. Alaskavan

    Alaskavan Guest

    I'm hesitant to go "full boat" because I don't want the,,, anyone, to think my motor assisted bike is a MoPed.
  3. gone_fishin

    gone_fishin Guest

    i wanna dress mine out...but the genre-issue has me conflicted, also. i'll probably still go for the minimal safety i feel i need, which does include comprehensive lighting. i'm tinkering with a 12v-SLA based system with some form of onboard recharging, but i have so many irons on the fire and no way to simply focus on something all the way thru...
  4. If you do that here in PA you open up a big can of worms !
    You would need a title / insurance / & a PA plate
    later // Mbikey
  5. DougC

    DougC Guest

    I looked into this when I started building my motor-bike. In Illinois, there's no point because you can't register a bicycle as a motor vehicle anyway.

    The only vehicles that can be titled and registered in IL are those that bear a federal-issued 17-digit VIN, and that fall into a roadworthy classification. (ATV's for instance are titleable motor vehicles, but they are not certified as roadworthy because the federal motor vehicle classfication they fall under is not roadworthy)

    There's something in the IL motor vehicle code about the state issuing VIN's to vehicles that don't have them--but this is only for vintage and antique vehicles that can be shown to have met roadworthiness standards at the time of their manufacture. The state will not issue you a VIN for a motorized bicycle built today, unless you registered as a manufacturer with the federal government and met all the federal requirements for the vehicle classification you wish to apply the vehicle to.

    For that matter, the state won't issue you a title on a Ford Model-T you build from scratch today--but if you use the frame of a vintage one, then you can get it titled and registered. Most US states do not have titling and registration provisions for people building entire vehicles from scratch.
    If you were willing to go the hassle and expense, probably the easiest way to build a vintage-looking autocycle would be to buy a titleable motorcycle or scooter, obtain a current title and registration on it and then modify it as you wished--keeping within DOT requirements (you'd be buying reproduction tires from Coker for example, because no bicycle tires are DOT rated).

    I'd really like to try doing this, but it just ain't gonna happen for a while.