pulled over in Iowa.

I told him that federal law states under 20mph its allowed to be classified as a bicycle. He said he would get back to his boss and ask him said:
I live in Iowa, just wondering myself, where is this DOT page, got a link to post?? Being a licensed mo ped would be a pain, I mean headlight on all the time. No generator so we are talking battery power!! Trek 700 with Robin 1.6 HP engine. Stanton FR drive.

It was a proposal in the federal register. I'm pretty sure that nothing ever came of it. I posted the PDF file a year or so ago... I'll try a search.

try this

Attachments

• NHTSA-2005-21467-0001.pdf
    68.1 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
My thought is just to ride it, I do have a valid motorcycle license. Play dumb when pulled over, and since I'm over 60, act like like I "forgot". Been riding motorcycles all my life, but this is fun! I can petal and then when my knee gives out, just motor on. Thanks for the reply BG in Iowa

yeah i put my 80cc HT motor on a boulder giant mountain bike and im in dundas ontario and i know its illegal. but whenever i see a cop i pull the clutch in and pedal. i hav riden over 2000km without a hitch.

Went riding with my wife last Sunday, she was on her non-powered Trek and I had mine. I pedaled maybe 1/4 mile and knee went bad. Just started my little engine and tooled along. Cop car passed us, but I was in the outside part of the bike path, so he could not see the engine anyway. but I was pedaling just fine. I have a feeling they could care less, but if you were like pushing little kids and old ladies off the road as you zoomed by, it would be all over.

yeah they have better things to do

i do ride at 50kph right through town with traffic. i pass the police station every day. i just drive it like a car with traffic and abide by all the laws that apply to cars. i still have yet to be pulled over

try to work it out with the cops ...
Because I doubt you can get any kind of registration without a VIN #
and schwinn doesen't do crash testing !!!!!
all mopeds and scooters have VIN'S.
you can't get any insurence without a VIN either.

Back