Schwinn Build II (straight bar)

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 52842View attachment 52843 Got my motor from Quenton yesterday and she's ready to go! I like to share helpful info with other Whizzer folks when I can so I just wanted to mention a Helpful Whizzer guy out there that has a lot of whizzer parts and knowledge. Fred White. I know a few of you guys already know Fred, but for those of you who don't, Fred is one of those old time Whizzer guys that can tell you everything you ever wanted to know about Vintage Whizzers.Fred rebuilds and sells hard to find Tillotson and Carter carbs and has just about every nut and bolt for Schwinn and Whizzer. He also has a catalog you can email and ask him for a copy. Fred also writes a column for a Whizzer news letter. I wish I new him before I started my first build, however the last part on that build came from him! A very hard to find ML5B Tillotson Carb! Fred's going for eye surgery in a week or so and expects to be down for a week or so , but you can write him and wish him well or request his catalog at :

whizzerfred@yahoo.com
I talked with Fred over the weekend, he sounds good and says he is doing well. Was out and eating ice cream.

Ray

I've got to say, looking at your straight bar whizzer got me wanting to build another one. So I made a nice deal for a H motor and it's getting sent to Q for some pick me up work. Thanks for getting me motivated again.

Your welcome Chainmaker! My build has been on hold awhile as I break in the motor a little bit, but I'm getting ready to resume. Frame will be going to powder coat next week and tomorrow I'm ordering some rims.

Wow, sure is nice to watch you guys work so hard. Only a few know how much time & money goes into restoring a vintage Whizzer. Although I have built hundreds of motors & restored at least 50 motorbikes, each one is different. Each motor has this or that part replaced and often tells the story of the motorbike. As an example I recently rebuilt a motor for one of the Whizzer decedents [Ken Goldman] and as always little details help prove the history of the motor. The motorbike was from Germany, and during the rebuild I noticed several changes in bolt sizes & threads. First I noticed the bottom & front mounting studs had course threads, and the bolts holding the exhaust elbow on the cylinder were larger than 10-24. Guess when you strip a bolt, nut or stud in Germany it would be normal to convert to metric bolts, nuts or studs. The front & bottom motor mount studs were 8 MM, and the exhaust elbow bolts were now 6 MM.
Normally I would have replaced any defective studs, nuts or bolts, however this time it was important to keep the metric conversions as it was proof the motor spent it's youth in Germany.
Another example of the differences are two of the motors I reworked for Chris recently, one runs smoother and quieter than the other. Although both motors are very similar, it is normal for them to run differently. One thing for sure is his next motor will run much different that his current inventory as he want me to "warm it up" a little [you know, camshaft, milled & reworked head, porting, etc.].
I will try to document his latest motor build so many can see the vast amount of work needed to put another Whizzer back on the raod.

Have fun,

Well said Quenton! The sad part of it is that things are so expensive, it would be hard to get back half your investment, should a person want to sell their bike! Just a Schwinn scripted reproduction brake lever costs more than a whole original Whizzer kit! I'm still struggling with whether or not to buy one for my Phantom.
Quenton, are you ready for Portland? I'm hoping I can get your help to tune up these bikes properly? I've had to cut some costs on this build to have it ready for Portland. I've got some non-Schwinn heavy duty rims on the way and a new Whizzer embossed tank coming from Whizzer Paul.Rear coaster brake hub is Shimano and 11ga. spokes and front hub is a Sturmey Archer drum brake hub, also 11ga.
Motor is so tight in this 52 straight bar frame I'm not sure if the chainguard is going to fit without the carb throttle plate rubbing on the top bar! Any Idea's? Frame is going to powder coating Monday.

Hi,

I will attach a picture of my 1950 Panther [Schwinn straight bar]. As you will note the chain guard is the "feather" version and has the flat spot for the panther emblem. Also note how close the top of the guard is to the motor and how close the bottom bar is to the head. It is so close you can't install the later Hi-fin head. The motor is a "J" and the only difference would be the carburetor used, as your "H" would have the Tillotson ML5B instead of the Carter. Not sure how much if any the carburetors would reduce any clearance issues between the "H" & "J" motors.

I am currently in a mad scramble getting ready for the big event in Dawson Springs , KY [where horse power matters!] and will most likely keep everything packed for Portland, just a few weeks later.

Have fun, MVC-545F.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back