Screaming Roo Magneto Problem

Arty

Local time
10:43 PM
I recently installed a new Screaming Roo magneto coil for my China Girl, and cannot get the bike to run with it at all. The coil measures 338 ohms, and was well grounded, and the air gap seemed adequate.
Upon replacing it with the original stock coil, the bike runs again.
Anyone have any tips?
I thought the new mag. would provide better spark.

Well look at the wiring on the magneto a tiny bit closer, the wire that is clearly soldered (or riveted) to one of the 2 arms that protrude from the coil is the one that should be connected to the black wire on your cdi. Also as an extra measure take a bit of sandpaper and rough up the underside of the arms around the holes (side that is against the motor) to ensure proper ground. If that fails then I really have no explanation since the mag read well within range for a normally functioning one.

And yes, I'm saying completely ignore the color of the wire should the blue or white one be the one on the arm instead of black.

Frankenstein:
Thanks for the tips. I verified that the black wire on the coil is indeed soldered to the frame of the unit, and was connected to the black CDI lead, and I sanded the legs of the unit to ensure a good ground before I installed it - - sooo - it's a mystery to me.

The dark magical mysterys of the China girl just don't stop.

Maybe try hooking it up just once more and double check your connections and definitely make sure the kill switch isn't engaged and when (if) you hook the mag up make sure no bare wire ends are touching the frame, if they are you can loose power to the CDI since it just jumps into ground.

I bought 2 cdi from Cr machine they came rusty and also didn't work ... The original guy and fred had a falling out and it's lack of quality control... They won't refund me or answer any calls it's just crap... I got 12v mag for lighting and just added some solder to it and I made the ground wire bigger.... I also set up the kill switch thst a rocker so it is backwards and when it's off it sparks and off when it's open so it doesn't ground out the mag just changing the cheap spark plug wire and an msd boot from some I had made a big difference... I know it's an old thread but someone like me new to the game would want to know this

I think he is talking about the lighting coil.

Attachments

• coil 003.jpg
    coil 003.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 248
Back