Side swiped by a large pick up truck a few minutes ago

Get that helmet!

Large, I'm glad you're okay, and that Cronus is not too badly damaged. Better you than me on spoke replacement, because I'm hopeless when it comes to truing spokes. I tend to collapse rims after I've trued them!
Regarding helmets, you can get DOT approved half-helmets on eBay from two vendors and they'll cost you less than $35 delivered. One dealer is "netsales04", the other is "discountramps". I have a white half-helmet (looks like it's straight from "CHIPs") that I bought from netsales04, and I really like it.
Again, glad you're okay.
-Kilroy

Scarry dude! Glad your ok. If you were 2 more feet ahead you would have been Flat! The more the Motored bike movement grows, sorry to say this will become a common occurance. I can see the new bumpersticker that says... "Start Seeing Motored Bikes" Good luck on your repair.

Glad you are ok LP. This sounds less like a MB related incident than a standard bike vs. pickup incident. TRUST NOBODY!!!

Some people will turn in front of you simply because they can, even if it is blatantly clear they know you are there. I'm nearing the point of mounting a massive set of longhorns on the front of my bike for that reason. They might think twice when part of my bike goes through their car! :rolleyes:

In the 6 days I've been commuting on my MB, I've learned that truckers are perhaps the worst offenders in turning out in front of me from the side streets. I doubt it's because they intend to be rude, but rather because they must execute their movement with a significantly greater distance to oncoming traffic, and they fail to realize I'm going 30-35 mph, leaving me with little choice but to slow and swerve around the rear of their trailers. I just expect it.

Pretend you are invisible, because much of the time, you will be right!

Glad you're okay LFL. When I rode where they had traffic (or stoplights). I didn't actually take the lane, but I crowded it enough that a car coming up to the intersection would have to pay attention to me. Far from the curb.

I'm glad to see you are O.K. Large.
Riding on the footpath is dangerous hear in Sydney.So many people are using iPods and mobile phone and can't hear bikes coming.

I got a nice bruise on my shin. That's about it. Cronus had 4 broken spokes. All replaced but not black spokes,though.
I got some spray paint.
I'll true it in the morning. It's actually pretty close as it sits now. Funny how the breaks happened on the pedal side.

Large: I'm so, so sorry about your incident. Thank goodness you are well and alive. We all need to use this as a reminder to be SUPER CAREFUL when riding our MBs...

Last edited:
i agree...i always take my lane at intersections...too bad if motorists don't like it, it's my right, and it's safer than counting on them to not kill me.

Me too. When I have to make a left turn, guess what lane i am in? Thats right! The left turn lane! Motorists look at me like WTF. Then I surprise them by accelerating from 0 - 25 in just a few seconds. I almost always take my lane. I usually don't hug the side of the road. Because there will always be a few asshats that don't change lanes, and fly by you a few inches away @ 60 mph. I treat my bike almost like its a car. It's safer that way. As long as some drunk a-ss, or blondie on her cell phone doesn't rear end me! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Motored bikes to me should be treated like motorcycles or scooters. All three are fairly loud enough to be heard. I wouldn't advise on touching everybodies car though. If its motorized and streetlegal then it should be treated equally in my book.

Motored bikes are NOT loud...nor do they have the visibility of scooters and motorcycles. You are INVISIBLE on the road. I always wear bright colored shirts, and I have painted my motor (the covers on the sides) in flourescent red.

I have also mounted a 35W halogen light in front that will practically blind you...they still don't always see me...so yeah, when it's rush hour I get the $#@$ l off of the road and use the sidewalk. When the roads are not crazy - ie. NOT rush hour, I ride on the road and try to stay as visible as possible. If there's a wide shoulder, I ride there...if no shoulder, and there's a sidewalk, I'll use it.

Bottom line: It's all about ME when I'm on the bike, and I try my best to stay away from the cagers. I have a family at home that depends on me.

If I need to make a left turn, I do get in the turn lane, and go right up to the front of the line, but stay on the right side of the lane...this way I know they've all seen me (if the light is red). If it's a green light, I do the same, but go through the intersection pretending to pedal...I think the motion helps get their attention.

Back