Too much info......

well, your best bet would be a 79cc predator bike kit, since that uses go-kart parts, but at a 400$ price tag its going to cost you.

you could also get a higher-end 66cc bike kit, (pk 80, zeda 80 etc), I've had great luck with those 99$ 1 piece jug kits as well after i replaced the hardware with real bolts instead of pot metal.

all depends on what $$$ you got burning a hole in your wallet.

id go with any older name brand MTB bike to modify, (ie diamondback, giant, trek, merlin, etc.)

Motorized bicycles are a small niche market. In this day of cheap mopeds and motorcycles, no manufacturer will spend billions to make quality equipment for motorized bikes.
There’s no market for it.

Apparently people are out there doing that mounting these small generators on e-bikes.
20 lb 800w inverter generator is under $100, and quiet.
Solves a lot of problems. Unlimited range on ebike. Keeps battery topped off while you ride. As long as you got gas.

Apparently people are out there doing that mounting these small generators on e-bikes.
20 lb 800w inverter generator is under $100, and quiet.
Solves a lot of problems. Unlimited range on ebike. Keeps battery topped off while you ride. As long as you got gas.

Like this guy:

E-bike owners, maybe, but not the manufacturers.

Do you have the skills, equipment, $$$ and knowledge to duplicate his creation?

Are you expecting a quality generator for $99?

I DID find a Lifan inverter for $175 at Home Depot

Now you have the dauntless task of converting your mountain bine into an e-bike,
AND solidly mounting a 20-lb. 14" x 13" x 9" hunk onto the rear rack of your bike.

I'm guessing your mountain bike will weigh 120lbs dry. when you're done.

And that's without your backpack, water and hiking stuff.

Besides the bike, all you need now is $1K+ to build an e-bike, AND the skill to install everything, including the inverter.

What's your budget again?
Is it $3,000 or more?

Do you think any one on the trail will try to STEAL IT! or vandalize it, when you leave it on the trail??

I'm betting they will.

Last edited:
Not sure if putting a Genset on an Ebike is a good idea, might as well get a 49 cc 4 stroke, you're going to have to stop for fuel anyway. Then you don't have the expense of having an electric bike and a charger.

Not sure if putting a Genset on an Ebike is a good idea, might as well get a 49 cc 4 stroke, you're going to have to stop for fuel anyway. Then you don't have the expense of having an electric bike and a charger.
Sounds like a "Rube Goldberg" invention to me...lol...DAMIEN

I'm all for it, if you don't let it outa your sight.

The bike you leave on the trail should be expendable,
and you're willing to have it stolen or vandalized.

Remember that hiking is your main objective.

Motorbicycling is a means to get to and from a far off trail.

That being said, get a used bike.

Install a crude, cheap kit with a dependable engine.
You need a reserve tank to travel 50 miles.

Once, I bought a used mountain bike with a flat tire for $200.

It had a new Staton chain drive kit and a brand new, genuine Mitsubishi TLE43 engine.

Now THAT'S something that you could've used.

Last edited:
I'm all for it, if you don't let it outa your sight.

The bike you leave on the trail should be expendable,
and you're willing to have it stolen or vandalized.

Remember that hiking is your main objective.

Motorbicycling is a means to get to and from a far off trail.

That being said, get a used bike.

Install a crude, cheap kit with a dependable engine.
You need a reserve tank to travel 50 miles.

Once, I bought a used mountain bike with a flat tire for $200.

It had a new Staton chain drive kit and a brand new, genuine Mitsubishi TLE43 engine.

Now THAT'S something that you could've used.

Yeah looking hard at the staton friction drives and honda gx35
Not too worried about it being stolen.
The chance of somebody stumbling on it in the woods 30 yards away from trail near trailhead, and having the desire and tools to cut a lock cable.... Over a short say four or five day period is fairly slim. Covered with camo 3d cloth and brush. Can also
be left at private placed with permission...stores canoe outfitters, etc.

Looking for decent bike with disc brakes.

Yeah looking hard at the staton friction drives and honda gx35
Not too worried about it being stolen.
The chance of somebody stumbling on it in the woods 30 yards away from trail near trailhead, and having the desire and tools to cut a lock cable.... Over a short say four or five day period is fairly slim.

Ok.

Good luck.

Back