Whizzer Rides - Stories and Pictures

I wore out another Speedo Gear :LOL: They don't last forever
After about 10-15k miles it's gets worn and sloppy the Nylon plastic gear teeth also get worn

I went for a 33 mile ride today and when I got home the odometer showed that I had only gone 13 miles :LOL:
Upon inspection I could see the speedo gear assembly was sloppy and the gear teeth were missing the track 1/2 the time when I spun the tire

I had a new Speedo gear and speedo cable hanging in the garage so I put it on, That's why I stock up on stuff so I can fix things ASAP
I ordered a new speedo cable and gear, from Whizzer Paul www.whizzercruzzerparts.com
I'm all good again with a spare for the next 30K miles (y)

Pics of the old and new gear instillation

Attachments

• DSCF9794.JPG
    DSCF9794.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF9796.JPG
    DSCF9796.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF9797.JPG
    DSCF9797.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF9798.JPG
    DSCF9798.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCF9800.JPG
    DSCF9800.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCF9801.JPG
    DSCF9801.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCF9804.JPG
    DSCF9804.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 48
I wore out another Speedo Gear :LOL: They don't last forever
After about 15k miles it's gets worn and sloppy the plastic gear teeth also get worn

I went for a 33 mile ride today and when I got home the odometer showed that I had only gone 13 miles :LOL:
Upon inspection I could see the gear was sloppy and the gear teeth were missing the track 1/2 the time when I spun the tire

I had a new Speedo gear and speedo cable hanging in the garage so I put it on, That's why I stock up on stuff so I can fix things ASAP
I ordered a new speedo cable and gear, from Whizzer Paul www.whizzercruzzerparts.com
I'm all good again with a spare for the next 30K miles (y)

Pics of the old and new gear instillation
I wonder if that plastic gear can be replaced with a metal one?

Note: All of your fixes tell me that my "long time" whizzer build is going to need many upgrades over the next 10 years!!

I wonder if that plastic gear can be replaced with a metal one?

Note: All of your fixes tell me that my "long time" whizzer build is going to need many upgrades over the next 10 years!!
A metal gear would probably eat the metal track, that Nylon gear lasts pretty good. It's the whole gear assembly that wears out

Speedo Gear don't cost much It's not expensive I also change the Speedo cable too
The plastic housing on the cable cracks and it just starts to look old & ugly, New cable is fresh and nice
New Gear assemble is true , nice and tight

The metal speedo gear assemble itself wears out the 2 halves become worn because their just pressed together
It gets so much wiggle room that the gear teeth will miss the track when the assemble wobbles
I guess if ya wanted to try and bend the track or press it together some more it would probably still work OK, But why hassle with it when a new one is much easier. Take off the old gear assembly and put on a new one Professional replacement OEM part
Yes, I got an extra hanging on the wall

Who is your tire source? Need to order some 24's...
I usually buy from a local bike shop but for some reason they stopped carrying the Cheng Shin brand
They had Kenda and Duro Classic Knobbies but I don't like the synthetic rubber those are made of becuse I tried em and they don't last as long, Their synthetic rubber is shinny (almost plastic looking) The Cheng Shin Rubber is flat black like real rubber maybe it is because Cheng Shin tires last longer,

There's also the Bell Kevlar classic knobbie $39 that's kinda expensive and not sure how long that tire lasts

I go years sometimes without a flat, so I'm not too worried about Kevlar tires and when I do get a flat it's usually a nail or tack that no kevlar is gonna stop anyways.

I bought my Cheng Shin Classic Knobbies on E Bay from Cambria Bikes here in CA. $17 each They had 4 tires and I bought em all :ROFLMAO:

I see others on e bay who have that tire Cheng Shin C693 Classic Knobbie Whitewall (black/white) but their charging more

The listing is still up on E Bay but it says sold out,
Shoot Cambria bikes an E mail and ask em when they'll be getting some more.

Cambria put my tires in a box and shipped really fast for only $3.99 shipping
DSCF9803.JPGDSCF9802.JPG
I got my tires in 3 days after I ordered, they also put someone else's stuff in the box I got
I sent the an E mail; with a pic saying if ya want it back send me a mailing label
Parts for a hub a presta valve and tire sealant

DSCF9810.JPGDSCF9811.JPGDSCF9812.JPG

A metal gear would probably eat the metal track, that Nylon gear lasts pretty good. It's the whole gear assembly that wears out

Speedo Gear don't cost much It's not expensive I also change the Speedo cable too
The plastic housing on the cable cracks and it just starts to look old & ugly, New cable is fresh and nice
New Gear assemble is true , nice and tight

The metal speedo gear assemble itself wears out the 2 halves become worn because their just pressed together
It gets so much wiggle room that the gear teeth will miss the track when the assemble wobbles
I guess if ya wanted to try and bend the track or press it together some more it would probably still work OK, But why hassle with it when a new one is much easier. Take off the old gear assembly and put on a new one Professional replacement OEM part
Yes, I got an extra hanging on the wall
I will order a few :) thanks

I usually buy from a local bike shop but for some reason they stopped carrying the Cheng Shin brand
They had Kenda and Duro Classic Knobbies but I don't like the synthetic rubber those are made of becuse I tried em and they don't last as long, Their synthetic rubber is shinny (almost plastic looking) The Cheng Shin Rubber is flat black like real rubber maybe it is because Cheng Shin tires last longer,

There's also the Bell Kevlar classic knobbie $39 that's kinda expensive and not sure how long that tire lasts

I go years sometimes without a flat, so I'm not too worried about Kevlar tires and when I do get a flat it's usually a nail or tack that no kevlar is gonna stop anyways.

I bought my Cheng Shin Classic Knobbies on E Bay from Cambria Bikes here in CA. $17 each They had 4 tires and I bought em all :ROFLMAO:

I see others on e bay who have that tire Cheng Shin C693 Classic Knobbie Whitewall (black/white) but their charging more

The listing is still up on E Bay but it says sold out,
Shoot Cambria bikes an E mail and ask em when they'll be getting some more.

Cambria put my tires in a box and shipped really fast for only $3.99 shipping
View attachment 186360View attachment 186359
I got my tires in 3 days after I ordered, they also put someone else's stuff in the box I got
I sent the an E mail; with a pic saying if ya want it back send me a mailing label
Parts for a hub a presta valve and tire sealant

View attachment 186361View attachment 186362View attachment 186363
got a couple of 24's same price from thier website. but of course shipping to Florida was $8 per tire... but not bad.

got a couple of 24's same price from thier website. but of course shipping to Florida was $8 per tire... but not bad.
Shipping $8 per tire No way, they charged me $3.99 to ship 4 from Central CA to Southern CA. about 600 miles

I guess that extra 3K miles cost ya

Back