XXXX

Mini bike is done so time for something new. My soon to be daily. I'm calling it 4X. This is what I'm starting with.

Attachments

• goldF.jpg
    goldF.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 3,036
Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to see a sketch of your design, but it sounds like we're already about to see the actual item actualized. 😄
(Although the details might not be visible in real life)
All the leg work has been done for us, http://www.dragonfly75.com/motorbike/torquepipe.html . I just modified the design to fit on my bike in the desired location. If it ever stops raining raining here, I'll take the bike out for a ride and find out if the current pipe, slightly modified stock, or my new torque pipe is better. Furry I suggest you save that PDF very handy.
FYI, I started with a 2.25" x 3" long chunk of exhaust pipe and just built around that. It's a lot bigger than the scooter pipe.

Now you've got me wanting to do a sketch of my own pipe project. Your thread though. ☺
I'll find somewhere to post it. I'm looking for the similar effect but going with a rather different construction and from different source materials.

So you have a hole in the side of the pipe, nothing going internal into it but the hole is mid belly or at least above beginning of baffle cone? Then the stinger covers the side hole like a lamprey?

I'm going to get up and find my whiteboard lol.....

Now you've got me wanting to do a sketch of my own pipe project. Your thread though. ☺
I'll find somewhere to post it. I'm looking for the similar effect but going with a rather different construction and from different source materials.

So you have a hole in the side of the pipe, nothing going internal into it but the hole is mid belly or at least above beginning of baffle cone? Then the stinger covers the side hole like a lamprey?

I'm going to get up and find my whiteboard lol.....
The exhaust hole is in the middle of the main expansion chamber, then the stinger runs along the bottom of the pipe and out the back. I left enough pipe on the end of the stinger to put a muffler if needed. Now that I did that, I think it would be easier to do if I had of screwed a plumbing barb into the hole. If this one leaks too much, then I'll cut it off and do that.

Ha,,, we can use canned good cans to make our tuned pipes too...

Small can to larger and so on,,, then large to small,,, wrap the crap out of it with 17 rolls of exshust tape,,, then 4" wide over lapped welders blanket... Ha

Pop rivit cans together before wrapping...
Stainless steel rivits too...

We end up with a sealed fire and sound proof tuned pipe that we can wreck when we go down,,, and it won't burn a hole on our leg as we lay there wounded...

Win Win...

$5 all in,,, make 2 or 3 more to have as spares

Tomato Tin Don... ha

🌵
Eons ago we used to use soup cans for baffles, but the metal is kinda thin to weld. I guess you could try gluing it together.

Oh bummer! I was hoping for a little pipe comparison but my petcock is leaking and I have to wait for a new one.

Yes,,, its fairly light for sure...

I like the idea of 22 guage... a little bit more meat to work with...

Don
My bed frame is about 1mm and so are my odds and ends and scooter and Honda pattern parts. Thats a lot heavier than most are using to build their pipes? It'll sound less tinny and more nice, though, right? I'll be wrapping it well anyway.

Oh bummer! I was hoping for a little pipe comparison but my petcock is leaking and I have to wait for a new one.
Bummer indeed! I was waiting for the post about how it feels now. The new top speed, and acceleration improvement, sound, and seat of pants feeling. I wasn't expecting it today though for some reason. Maybe I am psychic now. But then I wouldn't have to ask you how, just out of interest, how wide is your header tube?

Last edited:
Bummer indeed! I was waiting for the pist about how it feels now. The new top speed, and acceleration improvement, sound, and seat of pants feeling. I wasn't expecting it today though for some reason. Maybe I am psychic now. But then I wouldn't have to ask you how, just out of interest, how wide is your header tube?
The entrance to the expansion chamber is 22.5 mm ID with an OD of 25.4. I have two header pipes planned and the first one is 26 mm ID and the second one is the same as the expansion chamber.
That belly stinger is supposed to be quieter than the tail stinger. The belly stinger can also enter the tail but it's opening is at the mid point of the main chamber.
The new valve should be here Friday, so, maybe I'll get some testing done on the weekend.

Thank you for the info. 🙂 I think we have lots to compare and not too much to intelligently contrast, if I can get somebody to weld 'er up for me. My belly will be slimmer than. 🐍

Back