24mm to much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a reed setup that's been modified a 24mm will work well,or even a highly modded piston port if the port area's are in that range.Just remember that with bigger carbs and jetting you'll need to adress fuel supply issues,the stock petcock's don't flow fast enough to keep the carb's bowl from being depleted.
Packing a 3/8" petcock! Lol

i only use sick bike parts petcock so no worries there plus high flow fuel lines aand its been crankcase and cylinder matched ported to the max upgraded bearings all the way around innsides crankcase polished close to mirror shine for increased velosity ive done everything i can think of to try and pull as much speed and reliability possible

tygon and polyurethane fuel lines are what i prefer they are two of the most high velocity property materials i know of beinng used forr fuel line

I run a 21mm on a Dio Reed, gt5 (2mm less stroke than most engines) with a yz85 pipe. I can't open the throttle more than 50% before 2500rpm. Possible I need a different needle. I ran a stock petcock until recently but drilled out to 3/16in. Works fine. I'm getting 50 mpg @ 40mph so I'm definitely sucking way more than the stock setup does.

I run a 21mm on a Dio Reed, gt5 (2mm less stroke than most engines) with a yz85 pipe. I can't open the throttle more than 50% before 2500rpm. Possible I need a different needle. I ran a stock petcock until recently but drilled out to 3/16in. Works fine. I'm getting 50 mpg @ 40mph so I'm definitely sucking way more than the stock setup does.
What do you mean by 2mm less stroke,and how is that?

What do you mean by 2mm less stroke,and how is that?
Compared to the a80 or pk80 engines with 40mm stroke, that is. I had to deck my cylinder down almost 3mm because it was too tall for the 38mm stroke on the gt5. I bring it up because it means my engine is effectively 65.93cc vs 69.4cc (3.47cc difference).

Compared to the a80 or pk80 engines with 40mm stroke, that is. I had to deck my cylinder down almost 3mm because it was too tall for the 38mm stroke on the gt5. I bring it up because it means my engine is effectively 65.93cc vs 69.4cc (3.47cc difference).
There are still many engines that use the 38mm stroke rather than the later 40mm, that just makes it more under square and doesn't mean it will rev more or less just a slightly different geometry.I'm still using the 38mm stroke cranks in quite a few engines,my race engine has a 41mm stroke.you'll find more power and rpm with a jug meant for the 38mm stroke.

There are still many engines that use the 38mm stroke rather than the later 40mm, that just makes it more under square and doesn't mean it will rev more or less just a slightly different geometry.I'm still using the 38mm stroke cranks in quite a few engines,my race engine has a 41mm stroke.you'll find more power and rpm with a jug meant for the 38mm stroke.
Where can I find one? I keep getting 40mm jugs and every time I ask someone if the jug is a 40mm or 38mm, they think I'm crazy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back