Safety Beware the fenders!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far, the bike-side chain guard vibrated off, and the front fender center bracket left this world. But the fender stays are still there, not for long. I've got to have fenders so I've got to deal with this and I'm almost there. My bike's a daily driver, so I have to have the fenders. I'm going to check with a guy tomorrow that has some heavy duty fender stays. I'll make my own center bracket. My rear fender almost got me, but I was able to notice it, and gave it a zip-tie, and that got me home. I'm glad your safe! I check everything first thing in the morning and I'm good for the day. Usually 25-40 miles every day. I'm loving my gasbike.

This is My solution I just fabbed up some heavy duty mounts, and braces with a $5.00 piece of steel from Home Depot. I just used a vise, drill, hammer, and grinder. I am waiting for My new wheels, and forks from sportscarpat to get here to drill the axel mount holes.
Cheers
Chainmaker

Attachments

• fender.jpg
    fender.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 430
Good thread but the pictures are gone. Any chance of getting them back?

Terry

Zipties

Hi. I used 2 zipties per fender threw the top center hole to help hold them if bracket broke. By the way i replaced the L breaket on fender before, but this is my insurance.

anyone try using rubber gaskets at attachment points to curb the vibration? that and some Lock-tite? effective or not?

I tried wraping L Bracket in Ele. tape after replacing bracket and placing Zipties and no probs. yet

anyone try using rubber gaskets at attachment points to curb the vibration? that and some Lock-tite? effective or not?

I did that---nuts vibrating loose isn't the problem--it's metal fatigue in the L bracket. Both front and rear failed on my bike almost one year from the day of my first ride. Rear failure was no big deal because the fender was attached to the lower frame and by the fender braces. Front failure was a doozy. The bracket broke, the fender jammed the front wheel, the bike and I spun around the front axle and my head hit the ground in front of the bike before I could even let go of the handlebars.

Replace those bracket with some good thick pieces of metal and check them frequently. Also check the point where the bracket attaches to the fender--my rear fender showed signs of fatigue there too.

so far so good.

Well its been another month and things are still holding tight. I did manage to brake a motor mount(twice), But I upgraded my bolts to grade 8 and I hope they hold. Meanwhile the fenders have held steady with no sign of going south. I think the thing I did for the rear was not to tie it to the frame at the seat stays, but only hold it at the bottom bracket and then at the chain stays. I also used the newer heaver bolts to hold them to the mounting rods. this way it can buzz and move were it wants to.

I reinforced the fork mount by using some strong 1/8 inch plate and making another bracket going the other way This doubled the length of the mount. I also made the mount another two inches deeper because my fork was built for a 700c wheel. I think this extra length helps it vibrate at a frequency that is not as destructive.

Attachments

• motorbicycle 001.jpg
    motorbicycle 001.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 377
  • motorbicycle 003.jpg
    motorbicycle 003.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 365
Have any of you tried wooden or polycarbonate (hard but somewhat flexible plastic) fenders?

Are ya'll more interested in fenders for looks or rain deflectors?

I just took mine off, but I use a rear rack with either saddle bags or a piece of plastic to keep the Skunk Stripe away.

I didn't have much luck with the homemade front fenders though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back