Compatable Speedometer (Finally)

Thanks for the hint, Alan--I'll definitely give that a try! I was thinking maybe something could go between the metal and the speedo to act as some kind of insulator.

Thanks again!

Hey all... I have used a Cateye for a couple months now and have had no problems. I also got mine on ebay. I wanted to mention too that I had a Topeak Panoram on my first bike that was stolen and that was GREAT! It does cost a bit more ($40 maybe) but you have all of your readings displayed at all times and it has indiglo lighting so u can see it easily at night with the press of a button that is easily located. The Cateye works well but is smaller and the light button is hard to find when I'm cruising along at high speed. Just my 2 cents. Cheers. :)

I had a Topeak Panoram on my first bike that was stolen and that was GREAT! It does cost a bit more ($40 maybe) but you have all of your readings displayed at all times and it has indiglo lighting so u can see it easily at night with the press of a button that is easily located.
Oooohh! Aaaaahh!

so you're suggesting that the speedos stop working cos of the shoddy battery connection? interesting.... my cheap thing (fresh from hong kong, courtesy of ebay) worked the first time i strapped it on for a bit, then stopped. i zip-tied it onto my brake cable (far less vibration)and the problem is much worse... i tihnk i will try to ship in that red one that's mentioned earlier
Yes, supposedly some digital speedos are affected by vibration or supposedly interference from the CDI.

I bought a $5 digital speedo from dealextreme.com, & then I found out it was shipped from Hong Kong. I'll prolly be in the same boat as you, but I hope it works for at least a week or two.

yeah, ive tried the whole "operation anit-vibration", in the form of wrapping layers of foam under the sensor on the fork and spoke, and under the actual speedo, to no avail. i tihnk im just gonna upgrade, but it'd be great to find a way to use the cheeap speedos. i tihnk i'll go and wrap my CDI in lots of electrical tape :p

cheers for the input everyone

So far, my 11.00 target speedo is holding up as good as my cateye. No problem the entire day last Sunday. I'll let you all know how it's going this weekend.

I've been using a Trek Incite 8i wireless speedometer for over a year on my motored bike with no issues whatsoever (knock on wood!) in over 1500 miles. I paid $35 for it.

Newly installed Cateye works well so far

FINALLY, after waiting 2 weeks for it in the mail, I installed my Cateye Micro Wireless tonight. After some adjustments it worked well. I took the advice to put a layer of electrical tape on the handlebar first, so that may have helped, but I'm thinking it's just a better quality speedo so far--OR maybe that the wireless setup receives less EMI. We'll see how she lasts, though; it's just nice to finally have a working speedo...:)

Putting some 3M sticky foam tape on my handlebars helped a bunch on my $6 speedo. My Cateye light actually seems to be cutting out at high speeds... but I'm sure I can fix it with some kinda tape.

Cateye

I'm sorry to say that my Cateye seems to be petering out on me also... I'm almost ready to switch to analog if this one doesn't work, but I've yet to try some other things with it...just frustrated! :-/

Back