Compatable Speedometer (Finally)

Sounds like you have the problem licked

(pun re: someone mentioned licking thier frozen cyclocomputer)

Do you have a part number for the magnet?

I like your mounting suggestion. I want to try this because I'm tired of entering 2045, mi, time, mileage, every day.

I found the part number at Radioshack http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3012599
They are called "Snap choke Cores" for $2. 99 each.
pRS1C-4471473w345.jpg

I found this thread tonight, but yesterday I read another thread about digital speedometers re setting themselves, the fix was in THAT thread. today I went to Radio shack and bought a ferrite filter. It cost five dollars and something. It's a small clip on gizmo with a hole through it.( it's hinged to open the hole) I wound the speedo wire a few times around one side snapped it closed ( I placed it close to the speedo unit ) then replaced the zip ties holding the speedo so they went through the coil I created, so they held both the speedo and the coil/filter. PRESTO! no more problems. Maybe I can post photos later.

Last edited:
EDIT: I found them easily for advertised price.

I installed one right near the computer. So far, so good.

re: Part #

Snap Choke Core
Model: 273-069 | Catalog #: 273-069
$2.99$2.99

I'm going to try this today if the local Radio Shack has it there.

Last edited:
wal mart, 5 function schwinn digital speedo...$9.99.
the engine does not affect it's operation and i have the wire from the speedo running under my gas tank, really close to my spark plug wire..no interferance at all and it does not re-set.
I have the magnet on my back wheel, and the pickup mounted low on the rear side of the frame so it's hiddenout of sight. I didn't like the jumble of wires and zip ties holding the sensor to my forks...it looked messy.
this speedo works great, and it's only $10.00.

Cable drive speedo

Am I asking for trouble with this one? It seems to resolve all of the interference problems associated with the digitials. I overpaid for this one but I think you can find them for around $20.
speedo1.JPG

speedo.jpg

re: mechanical speedo

I think it looks good. Does it have a calibration knob? If so, you can mark a measured mile with a known vehicle or speedo bicycle, and compare them.

If not, you can find out how much its off and memorize what points record what actual speeds.

I think it looks good. Does it have a calibration knob? If so, you can mark a measured mile with a known vehicle or speedo bicycle, and compare them.

If not, you can find out how much its off and memorize what points record what actual speeds.

Naw....only a milage reset knob. I will check the accuracy tomorrow over a known course to see how far off it is.

I used the Schwinn "$10.00" speedo from wal-mart, wrapped handlebar with innertube rubber prior to mounting, it's been working fine.

I used the Schwinn "$10.00" speedo from wal-mart, wrapped handlebar with innertube rubber prior to mounting, it's been working fine.

I didn't even have to do that. mine is mounted right to my gooseneck, right in the center on top.

Am I asking for trouble with this one? It seems to resolve all of the interference problems associated with the digitials. I overpaid for this one but I think you can find them for around $20.
View attachment 25458

View attachment 25459

I had one similar to that and it read in kmh, not mph.
mine worked good for 1 day. i got it up to 40 kph and then it just quit working.
i found that the plastic gears in the drive mechanism mounted to the front wheel disintegrated.
yours looks different tho, so maybe you got one that will last.

I had one similar to that and it read in kmh, not mph.
mine worked good for 1 day. i got it up to 40 kph and then it just quit working.
i found that the plastic gears in the drive mechanism mounted to the front wheel disintegrated.
yours looks different tho, so maybe you got one that will last.

I think the clue to making this thing work properly is:

1. Do not overtighten the nut on the sender.

2. Lube the cable and keep it straight.

3. Cross your fingers.

Back