Cranbrook Build

Started the new bike build. Went with the new style Cranbrook and will be doing a ton of mods. Already cut of the stock dropouts and welded on some horizontal dropouts in their place. Working on running the electrical and cables in frame. Shortened the seat tube 1" at the clamp. Plan to add some bracing in a few places. And of course an in frame tank is in the works.

Going to use the case reed again but I'm rebuilding it with some mods and upgrades.

Gathering tools for porting. Have a better understanding now and want to try different port configurations. Really enjoy porting. Find it relaxing but exciting at the same time. It's a great feeling when you try something and can feel it on the bike. Even better when you aim for something and achieve it. Going to try some different ideas I have. Just have to figure out how to share without a certain a hole company owner seeing it. Anyway, here are pics of some of the new tools.

Been working out the bugs on the bike. Finally have the brakes at a point where they are safe. Brake fade was scary as hell. Thought it was the cheap pads that came with the calipers, and they may have added to the problem. Turns out it was the rotors. They actually were blueing and have some tiny cracks that the phone won't show. Went back to the old Avid rotors and some full metallic pads. The bike just doesn't have the braking power I want. The Hyper was easily 30 pounds lighter and I can feel it in the brakes. Think of going to floating rotors with a 225 up front. Also going to get the Zoom cable pull hydraulic calipers for now. Might have to look into the outbraker system.

Next issue is the reeds. Developed a small leak between the intake and reed block. While it was apart I noticed the reed petals weren't closing, they were bent. Ok, so flip them over. Well now they are arched up in the middle. No change in performance other then it idles better. Funny too because I just ordered some Hoca fiberglass reeds Friday and a new reed block with some cf petals the Friday before. Guess I'll be doing some testing.

I also ordered another piston from MZ so I can start on the other cylinder. Probably not going to post anything about that here but might start a private conversion on it. Have a few people that will be part of it. When it's time I'll figure out how others can get added to the group. Only one person that I don't want to see it but at the same time everyone doesn't need to see it either. Hope that doesn't make me sound like a douche lol.

Been working out the bugs on the bike. Finally have the brakes at a point where they are safe. Brake fade was scary as hell. Thought it was the cheap pads that came with the calipers, and they may have added to the problem. Turns out it was the rotors. They actually were blueing and have some tiny cracks that the phone won't show. Went back to the old Avid rotors and some full metallic pads. The bike just doesn't have the braking power I want. The Hyper was easily 30 pounds lighter and I can feel it in the brakes. Think of going to floating rotors with a 225 up front. Also going to get the Zoom cable pull hydraulic calipers for now. Might have to look into the outbraker system.

Next issue is the reeds. Developed a small leak between the intake and reed block. While it was apart I noticed the reed petals weren't closing, they were bent. Ok, so flip them over. Well now they are arched up in the middle. No change in performance other then it idles better. Funny too because I just ordered some Hoca fiberglass reeds Friday and a new reed block with some cf petals the Friday before. Guess I'll be doing some testing.

I also ordered another piston from MZ so I can start on the other cylinder. Probably not going to post anything about that here but might start a private conversion on it. Have a few people that will be part of it. When it's time I'll figure out how others can get added to the group. Only one person that I don't want to see it but at the same time everyone doesn't need to see it either. Hope that doesn't make me sound like a douche lol.
I feel ya on the brakes, after my close call(totally my fault) I stopped riding my bike much till I finish the brake upgrades. The front disc setup I welded on is working great now, but I am not happy with the BMX caliper on the rear so once I have some damn free time I am welding v-brake mounts on the back and throwing some kool-stops on there. Bike isn't crazy fast but I need it to slow down safely and reliably from ~55mph to feel confident on it again.

New battery pack is built, this time fused on both the output and charging side. Have to make the new battery box still. It'll get done this weekend.

New reeds and reed cage are here. Got Hoca fiberglass reeds this time. Like the CDH cage better then the stock piece. Stock has 4 small nuts inside but the new one has threaded bosses which is a better idea.

Off tomorrow so I'm going to start reporting the 1st g5 cylinder with multiple smaller boost ports. Wanted to try 5 lol but not comfortable with adding them between the transfers and the exhaust port.

New reeds are in and it was definitely an upgrade. The pipe sounds different. Sounds like each pulse hits harder. Pulls better than it did. Have to retune the carb because it has a flat spot mid throttle.

New battery box is built and on the bike.Have lights again. Also mounted the taillight. The brake light actually works. Modified the brake lever for a momentary switch. Thinking about it, putting it on the clutch lever woul have been a better choice. You always hold the clutch when stopped.

Whats the ID on that stinger, looks to be ~18mm???

I bet you pick up some mid range performance replacing it with a 16mm one, maybe a little more up top too.

This is one of the nicest builds I've seen, looks great!
Thank you very much!
Whats the ID on that stinger, looks to be ~18mm???

I bet you pick up some mid range performance replacing it with a 16mm one, maybe a little more up top too.
Think it's closer to 20mm! Have to work on the pipe anyway. Need trash the kx header kit from zms, imo its garbage. Going to reshape, shorten and make my own slip connection. Also thinking about putting a flange connection at the stinger to try out different diameters and lengths. Might stick a muffler on it. I think it sounds great but it is super loud.

Thank you very much!

Think it's closer to 20mm! Have to work on the pipe anyway. Need trash the kx header kit from zms, imo its garbage. Going to reshape, shorten and make my own slip connection. Also thinking about putting a flange connection at the stinger to try out different diameters and lengths. Might stick a muffler on it. I think it sounds great but it is super loud.
How bad assed would that be? Flanged at the stinger and where the head pipe meets the diffuser. Talk about a tunable pipe.

Back