Finally got out of the neighborhood with Predator 212cc stock on Meridian trike.

That's a good idea. My spokes actually broke because the hub adapter didn't have a good enough grip on the slippery, shiny, tiny 3/4" baby hub for the driven wheel and this thumper of a motor kept pushing the hub around wheel til a good number of spokes gave up the ghost. To mitigate this issue, I will be scuffing up the shiny tiny hub and lay a good bead of epoxy over it.

Problem I just realized is that I don't have a temp spacer while the epoxy cures in place. I will try a dry run tomorrow to see what I can do. I'll have to bring the wheel, hub, and epoxy mess into my room since its around 30 degrees out in the garage and pretty sure epoxy doesn't like that cold mess. I'll post my mess later. Hopefully we'll get some warm 'nuff weather to take her out for a nice jog out.
Sometimes the words you use are construed differently.

Thank you and the proccess has been initiated.

May I suggest as a last resort that you install a rag joint on the other side of the hub?

Use threaded rods to connect the sprocket, aluminum adaptor and rag joint.

Orrr, use rag joint sprocket adaptors on BOTH SIDES, then connect them with threaded rods. threaded rods.

And you really need a larger sprocket to get the right gear ratio.

Here's another idea:

Put your existing sprocket on one side of the hub,
and a 72t sprocket on the other side of the same hub.

Last edited:
@wolvmarine you need a gigantor sprocket or a transfer case to increase your gear ratio to not burn out your clutch on takeoff, and be able to use all of your rpm range if you ungovern the engine. Your current gear ratio is way too steep.
Think of gear ratio as a ramp. 10:1 is 10' out 1' up. 3:1 is 3' out 1' up. Which one would be easier to push a 250 lb load up 1' in height? Your gear ratio is doing the latter. You are using less rpm (instead of horizontal distance with the ramp example) to reach the same speed as an engine with more reduction (or more distance with the ramp example). The hard part is figuring out where the work needed exceeds power and you slow down vs power far surpassing work needed and you just wheely at full throttle at lower speeds.

Last edited:
The bit of scratchy scratchy I hope this is enough for the epoxy::

1612669160125.png

It aint pretty but I'm hoping she'll be where I need her. I guess I could try placing a set screw or pin at 10oClock as the pic faces, yes?
1612669271752.png

May I suggest as a last resort that you install a rag joint on the other side of the hub?

Use threaded rods to connect the sprocket, aluminum adaptor and rag joint.

Orrr, use rag joint sprocket adaptors on BOTH SIDES, then connect them with threaded rods. threaded rods.

And you really need a larger sprocket to get the right gear ratio.

Here's another idea:

Put your existing sprocket on one side of the hub,
and a 72t sprocket on the other side of the same hub.

You really like those rag joints, huh? But, I'm trying Not to be a sprocket installer expert, if you catch my drift?🙄 If this epoxy doesn't work I'll scrap it all and get a 24" wheel with a proper hub. This tiny hub is like holding a bit of glass with vise grips!

@wolvmarine you need a gigantor sprocket or a transfer case to increase your gear ratio to not burn out your clutch on takeoff, and be able to use all of your rpm range if you ungovern the engine. Your current gear ratio is way too steep.
Think of gear ratio as a ramp. 10:1 is 10' out 1' up. 3:1 is 3' out 1' up. Which one would be easier to push a 250 lb load up 1' in height? Your gear ratio is doing the latter. You are using less rpm (instead of horizontal distance with the ramp example) to reach the same speed as an engine with more reduction (or more distance with the ramp example). The hard part is figuring out where the work needed exceeds power and you slow down vs power far surpassing work needed and you just wheely at full throttle at lower speeds.
Hey thanks for the compliment. I'm about 200lbs just by myself. I wish this bike was 50lbs, but I guess it would be fragile is all get out is that were the case. Thankfully everything around me is flat ground so I pedal like the dickens and then feather in the throttle and she works fine this way. My next run I'll break 40mph I swear or I'll tuck and roll trying! In regards to gearing I placed it on the calculator I placed on this thread to get around 50mph which is very doable with this motor. I've seen at least 3 different YTs with this exact combo: 212 Pred' and Meridian trike. Its so common that the exact motor mount is pretty easy to find. I have a 3000watt hub motor I could through in the front too. But I have another project bike for that I think. I'll post my top speed if this epoxy sets up right.

You really like those rag joints, huh? But, I'm trying Not to be a sprocket installer expert, if you catch my drift?🙄 If this epoxy doesn't work I'll scrap it all and get a 24" wheel with a proper hub. This tiny hub is like holding a bit of glass with vise grips!
Lol, I’ve never used a rag joint or a hub adaptor.
I figured it’d work.

Actually, I use shift kits on my bikes.

Hey thanks for the compliment. I'm about 200lbs just by myself. I wish this bike was 50lbs, but I guess it would be fragile is all get out is that were the case. Thankfully everything around me is flat ground so I pedal like the dickens and then feather in the throttle and she works fine this way. My next run I'll break 40mph I swear or I'll tuck and roll trying! In regards to gearing I placed it on the calculator I placed on this thread to get around 50mph which is very doable with this motor. I've seen at least 3 different YTs with this exact combo: 212 Pred' and Meridian trike. Its so common that the exact motor mount is pretty easy to find. I have a 3000watt hub motor I could through in the front too. But I have another project bike for that I think. I'll post my top speed if this epoxy sets up right.
1612679565714.png

Well I guess longer than I thought, and I'm already using my electric blanket on my Cranberry wine 😁. Idle hands be getting busy.

Lol, I’ve never used a rag joint or a hub adaptor.
I figured it’d work.

Actually, I use shift kits on my bikes.
Hmm, how much these shift kits be, fine sir?

I'm about to start my lost project back up again: of 212 Predi' with TAV to Pusher cart. But this will need pillow blocks, new shaft, sans posi trac, and possibly a jackshaft. Hence, lost project.

Shift kits won’t work on your trike or a pusher cart.

Since you like simplicity, a large sprocket would do wonders.

I like overkill for a 212cc project.

If the hub and sprocket were the same metal, I’d suggest welding them together.

Or I’m still suggesting to use an extra rag joint on the other side of the hub.

I also believe that your small hub sprocket will shake, rattle and roll that wheel sprocket connection.

Back