Fix my Whizzer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried starting the bike with a fully charged battery: No-go.

Tried to pull the plug wire but it is integral with the coil; it will not come out of the coil. I'll need to get a new coil if I want to try a new coil wire.

Checked the position of the trigger and found it to be between 3-4 o-clock when looking at the crank from the left side of the bike. The trigger is at this position when the lifter begins to close the 0.006" gap and raise the intake valve.

Next step: new coil, right?

Four other things that need to be checked...

1) I need to check the compression as I've not done that yet.

2) Can someone remove the left side pulley guard and lifter cover and check where their trigger is positioned when their intake valve begins to lift?

3) I'm also not certain that I've got the spark plug seated to the head properly. I'm not certain how well the motor will fire-up if the spark plug tip is not extended into the combustion chamber. Can anyone perform this test on a good running engine: Unscrew the plug entirely out of the head and screw it back it only 1/2 way. Tell me if the engine will fire. Don't allow the engine to run that way as the plug will eventually work itself out.

4) With a little starting fluid through the carb, and after securely seating the plug, I need to try to crank the engine using a drywall screw attached to the end of the coil wire and held 1/8" from the spark plug tip. If I get a consistent spark to jump across the gap when the plug is installed, then I've got to be getting that same spark to jump across the plug tip (unless I have two bad, new plugs). If I've got compression, and the timing is OK, and I've got a good spark, and the bike won't fire, then I'm in the Twilight Zone.

I just thought of something else. Could the key in the flywheel have sheared? It's easy enough to check just don't use and impact wrench on the flywheel nut.

Jim

... so I would see the sensor trigger off location, as if the cam gear would have slipped?

Where is your sensor positioned when the intake valve begins to lift?

I just thought of something else. Could the key in the flywheel have sheared? It's easy enough to check just don't use and impact wrench on the flywheel nut.

Jim

The trigger on the fly wheel is right at the pick up mounted to the case (about the 3 O'clock position) when the intake valve starts to open. If the key stripped on the flywheel it would throw things off just like the cam gear slipping.

Jim

Last edited:
Just checked my trigger pickup positon against Quenton's test rig. My pickup is exactly where it is supposed to be for one tooth advanced so my gear hasn't slipped and my key hasn't stripped.

I MUST have a strange ignition problem.

I'm going to check my ompression then pick up a new NGK plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back