Head Advice Please?

Gary, the flat head you have pictured is the RSE or similar, but the blue flat head is the Chinese one with similar aesthetics but a different shape, different (less) fin surface area, a smaller than stock plug hole (comes with a tiny plug), and a strange conical combustion chamber. I haven't checked the volume but it appears small.
That could actually be fun for experimenting with changing the chamber volume/shape, it is thicker than stock, but I only got one because it saved the cost of shipping a B.M.W. head from USA to UK and no one told me about combustion chamber shape/plug hole!
Thank you sir. The variables just continue to pile up.

Gary, the flat head you have pictured is the RSE or similar, but the blue flat head is the Chinese one with similar aesthetics but a different shape, different (less) fin surface area, a smaller than stock plug hole (comes with a tiny plug), and a strange conical combustion chamber. I haven't checked the volume but it appears small.
That could actually be fun for experimenting with changing the chamber volume/shape, it is thicker than stock, but I only got one because it saved the cost of shipping a B.M.W. head from USA to UK and no one told me about combustion chamber shape/plug hole!
Yes that odd shaped chamber, I also said that head wasn't great or at least I thought it in my head without saying so. Well, an engine all tuned up running great with a BMW head will run really crappy with that other head.

Now if there are similar heads but with different chambers then I could see the variations in opinion making sense. That being said that particular head has an odd chamber shape and it really just doesn't run well on the same engine that has a BMW head. It would run sloppy and take some time to come up to speed, even revs with the clutch held in would sound choppy and hesitant to go full blast.

I think it's crap, probably because of that specific cone like shape messing with the burn. All in all the heavier the head the likelihood it will run more reliably is better, it stays cooler and the actual durability of a machined hunk of aluminum will outlast any cast piece simply because that's the benefit of machined parts over cast ones.

Dont get me wrong though, if I had that head with the low profile a lot of procedures on the bike, namely putting the engine in or removing it or just removing the spark plug, would have been easier 10 fold, the large profile of a BMW head can really make for a tight fit in some frames.

It was me and I said the pipe he was looking at is crap and that the head didnt have the surface area compared to the diamonds head for witch IMO I said is the best all around having a good chamber design and ample cooling area and will never warp!
I apologize for the confusion, it was in fact the pipe you said was trash & not the head. 100% Right!!

To be honest all of my decisions & purchases have been horrible. Street Ryderz mentioned that the pipe I purchased is trash and he was 100% right, it arrived today and the bike is running worse then before. Based on the feedback on the head I was considering I obviously decided against that purchase, thanks for saving me some more money fellas, at least I won't fall into a deeper depression.

View attachment 76925 So my current plan is to await for the mediocre carb to arrive, hope the jet is smaller then the #70 that is in my stock carb and the bogging problem is fixed. Let me ask, if I get the head in the attached pic will I need to buy anything different then what I currently have (the s**tty muffler & mediocre carb) or can everything just get along and be happy??

Attachments

• IMG_0535.PNG
    IMG_0535.PNG
    956.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0536.PNG
    IMG_0536.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0537.PNG
    IMG_0537.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 114
Usually the same as stock in every way. Easier to tune, and have that really nice choke release, just choke it, start and then pull full throttle to release it automatically.
Do you happen to know the size of the jet for this carb?? It has been suggested that the size 70 in my current stock carb is to large and the reason I'm bogging. It is my hope this carb on the way will have a smaller jet and my bogging issue will be fixed. Or do you suggest I buy smaller jets separately?

To be honest all of my decisions & purchases have been horrible. Street Ryderz mentioned that the pipe I purchased is trash and he was 100% right, it arrived today and the bike is running worse then before. Based on the feedback on the head I was considering I obviously decided against that purchase, thanks for saving me some more money fellas, at least I won't fall into a deeper depression.
It's not the depression that kills you, it's the handgun in the nightstand that gets you.

Oh and I just looked at that other thread of yours, I apologize I thought that pipe you got was something different. When it was on this bike it ran good, but that pipe is not the same exact thing.
IMAG0311.jpg

I can't remember for sure but I think maybe this pipe was exactly like that you you got and it was welded shut on the end and then a pipe welded in on the side.

That one sounded great, and ran really well, can't add too much more that's all I know for certain is that it's 2 different things lol...

Do you happen to know the size of the jet for this carb?? It has been suggested that the size 70 in my current stock carb is to large and the reason I'm bogging. It is my hope this carb on the way will have a smaller jet and my bogging issue will be fixed. Or do you suggest I buy smaller jets separately?
Maybe pick up a 65-69 set, I used that range often with the Dellorto and it seems to be right for stock, rarely I'd use 64 or 63 it usually only happened when it was too hot out.

Back