Ill admit I was warned...

GW's Motorized

Local time
2:15 AM
Just to start off with, fenders look sick, but they come at a price.

I love the look of fenders on a bike, and I would love to keep them, but I should have taken the 5 or 10 minutes to reinforce mine.

My bike is an older Huffy Newport. It's an amazing frame, and it has fenders.

I was headed down the road going 35 when with zero warning my bike started skidding almost like socks on tile. It went for almost an entire block. My rear fenders had busted off its mount and bound up the rear wheel and went under it. Now my rear wheel is screwed and the almost brand new tire.

These are the pictures
20230424_155447.jpg

20230424_155451.jpg

20230424_161959.jpg

This is what it did to my fender
20230424_162003.jpg

Aluminum is meant strictly for pretty cnc parts if ya ask me
Every plane in the sky laughs at that. Like any material, aluminum has strengths and weaknesses that make it suited or unsuited to a given task. Even within the realm of that material there can be many variations due to alloying and different heat treating methods.

Aluminum just lacks long term fatigue strength and work hardens easily, which means it's not a big fan of vibration/repeated flexing. Airplane wings are almost entirely aluminum, and have a service life where they eventually need replacing to prevent the wings falling off. Even aluminum bikes (usually cheaper ones) that are simply pedaled can form cracks over time. Putting a motor on one and going 3 times faster just accelerates the issue.

Just to start off with, fenders look sick, but they come at a price.

I love the look of fenders on a bike, and I would love to keep them, but I should have taken the 5 or 10 minutes to reinforce mine.

My bike is an older Huffy Newport. It's an amazing frame, and it has fenders.

I was headed down the road going 35 when with zero warning my bike started skidding almost like socks on tile. It went for almost an entire block. My rear fenders had busted off its mount and bound up the rear wheel and went under it. Now my rear wheel is screwed and the almost brand new tire.

These are the pictures
View attachment 191271
View attachment 191270
View attachment 191269

This is what it did to my fender
View attachment 191268

I may talk crap to you now and then, but bro, you are a real man. Not because you almost killed yourself, but you admitted your mistake. That takes a man to do. Hope you will take our advice to heart from now on. We might not know you, but we sure don't want to see you hurt. I know @DAMIEN1307 can seem like he is a Nazi. Really he is a soft hearted old man and actually gives two hoots about the members here. He might get crazy and go off on a tangent or just seem like he is a mean old jerk. Really, he is only mad because he actually cares. If he goes crazy on you over something, you might want to check it out. He has spent more hours than me reading posts here, he's just trying to help you smile. Instead of wince from pain. Anyway, you just earned a lot of brownie points in my book, simply from admitting you messed up. You are a real man my friend.

Ps. I'm pretty drunk and in pain from being attacked by a tree. My poo talking self will be back when I sober up. I tend to show a lot of heart when I am drunk. That doesn't happen often. The heart or drunk part. lol

I may talk crap to you now and then, but bro, you are a real man. Not because you almost killed yourself, but you admitted your mistake. That takes a man to do. Hope you will take our advice to heart from now on. We might not know you, but we sure don't want to see you hurt. I know @DAMIEN1307 can seem like he is a Nazi. Really he is a soft hearted old man and actually gives to hoots about the members here. He might get crazy and go off on a tangent or just seem like he is a mean old jerk. Really, he is only mad because he actually cares. If he goes crazy on you over something, you might want to check it out. He has spent more hours than me reading posts here, he's just trying to help you smile. Instead of whence from pain. Anyway, you just earned a lot of brownie points in my book, simply from admitting you messed up. You are a real man my friend.

Ps. I'm pretty drunk and in pain from being attacked by a tree. My poo talking self will be back when I sober up. I tend to show a lot of heart when I am drunk. That doesn't happen often. The heart or drunk part. lol
Yup, since this happened I rebuilt my bike and I'm about to do the one thing Damien keeps bugging me about, removing the chain tensioner. I have done everything I can to ensure my new bike is safe and purdy.

20230604_150029.jpg

Really he is a soft hearted old man and actually gives two hoots about the members here....he actually cares.....he's just trying to help you smile. Instead of wince from pain.
For Heavens sake don't say that...lol...It'll ruin my reputation...lol...lol.

People will actually start thinking i'm a caring person...lol.

Yup, since this happened I rebuilt my bike and I'm about to do the one thing Damien keeps bugging me about, removing the chain tensioner. I have do e everything I can to ensure my new bike is safe and purdy.

View attachment 193907

I know he may seem like a crazy old mean man just getting kicks from telling everyone what to do. Yeah he does get kicks from telling people what to do, but those people usually get the f off and a ban. He loves telling those people what to do and where they can shove it. I would too in his spot here, lol. Everyone else here gets the Big Bro treatment though. That old cholesterol clogged heart he totes around, it cares about all of us. That's probably why he became a cop, then ruined his career defending those who couldn't. He could be running a police station robbing all of us with tickets, instead he's riding motorized bikes and watching missiles blow up in the desert. While trying to keep us engine junkies alive and safe on our rides. The thing about him, if he doesn't know, he will point you in the right direction. You gotta love that nazi copper man. He's actually a really nice guy when you get to know him. If he says you may be in danger, it's just best to check. He wants to ride with you on his never ending vacation they call retirement. You know how those old crusty fat guys get. They just want to make sure everyone is safe, and smiling. Even if you are having a bad day, he'll be there to listen.

I am so drunk, I'm telling the truth about our second in command Nazi!! wtf!!! Love ya @DAMIEN1307 , you're family to me bro.

That's probably why he became a cop, then ruined his career defending those who couldn't.
Thats not what happened...lol...lol...I simply retired when I was seeing that policing was changing radically in 1989 where courts were putting revolving doors on the prisons where some people really belong and should stay there...lol...I had just had enough of that and the petty politics you find in every police department...As a lieutenant, I was expected to play the political game...I wouldn't play the game, I'm a straight shooter, not a political liar...lol.

Yeah he does get kicks from telling people what to do, but those people usually get the f off and a ban. He loves telling those people what to do and where they can shove it.
I prefer to think that I am just more or less guiding folks to a more correct and precise way to do things on their bikes based on my own personal experience of 68 years of breathing, rather than thinking i'm trying to tell them what to do...lol...lol.

Thats not what happened...lol...lol...I simply retired when I was seeing that policing was changing radically in 1989 where courts were putting revolving doors on the prisons where some people really belong and should stay there...lol...I had just had enough of that and the petty politics you find in every police department...As a lieutenant, I was expected to play the political game...I wouldn't play the game, I'm a straight shooter, not a political liar...lol.
I'm trying to make you look like super man, sheesh. I'm a writer and movie maker. Ok, I'm just drunk and was making you look like superman. lolo

Still love ya bro.

Back