Minarelli Builders Thread

Intake side of piston…
Small cut out at the bottom of intake side…

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 94
Call athena & ask them, you sure they didnt give or get the wrong piston in that cylinder kit? I'm asking just to gain some knowledge.

I left a question via email with Treatland..where I got it… and called Athena in Florida.
Waiting on a Treatland response and a call back from Athena.

Why do I I have this kit?…
My $27 Chinese knock off Minarelli top end snagged a ring on the exhaust port. ☹️

Not sure… I think it was probably my fault. I chamfered the ports but I guess my work was not acceptable.
This cast iron cylinder is soft. Seems like they used some talcum powder and sand in the cast mix. When I drilled the stud holes for 8mm studs the bit went through it so easily it was scary. I had my doubts from the get go but figured since it was all so cheap it would be a test learning experience doing this conversion.
I’m pretty sure it wasn’t due to a lean run. The temp had been consistently around 180-210 with the jetting used that week and the plug was always rich looking.
I didn’t know it until I took it apart at 225 miles for inspection when I found the chipped port, light cylinder scratches, and a chipped reed.

I left a question via email with Treatland..where I got it… and called Athena in Florida.
Waiting on a Treatland response and a call back from Athena.

Why do I I have this kit?…
My $27 Chinese knock off Minarelli top end snagged a ring on the exhaust port. ☹️

Not sure… I think it was probably my fault. I chamfered the ports but I guess my work was not acceptable.
This cast iron cylinder is soft. Seems like they used some talcum powder and sand in the cast mix. When I drilled the stud holes for 8mm studs the bit went through it so easily it was scary. I had my doubts from the get go but figured since it was all so cheap it would be a test learning experience doing this conversion.
I’m pretty sure it wasn’t due to a lean run. The temp had been consistently around 180-210 with the jetting used that week and the plug was always rich looking.
I didn’t know it until I took it apart at 225 miles for inspection when I found the chipped port, light cylinder scratches, and a chipped reed.
Idk everything about these minarelli hybrids, but have done alot of research on them. I've read that it's best if you can find the cylinder kits with the bridged exhaust port.

I got a reply from Athena. I was told it’s a total redesign and it’s correct with no window. The small cut out on the piston bottom and redesigned intake port take the place of the piston window.
So no window on this piston is correct. It’s not a mistake by someone having a bad Monday

I got a reply from Athena. I was told it’s a total redesign and it’s correct with no window. The small cut out on the piston bottom and redesigned intake port take the place of the piston window.
So no window on this piston is correct. It’s not a mistake by someone having a bad Monday
That's good to know! Thanks! I figured it might be a redesign, but didnt know for sure. Athena is good stuff, that should be a runner when your done with it. Not having a window in it, might turn out to be a more reliable kit possibly.

Thats probably better anyway leaving the pistons structure more intact. Thing should be a real hoss compared to the kit you have been riding.

The piston in this kit is a little shorter and a good bit lighter than the Chinese kit piston. When I weighed just the piston, wrist pin, and wrist pin bearing for the Athena kit it weighs 99.4G. The same on the Chinese kit weighs 106.5.
The wrist pin on the Athena kit is a good bit beefier than the other pins.
The kit calls for a .91mm squish and to use 96 octane fuel with synthetic oil.
They offer a first and second over piston for rebuilds.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 98
I thought my old kit got screwed from not chamfering the port correct or enough. Turns out the top ring guide pin is gone… :(

Attachments

• BE4B0C82-C992-4EB7-8548-05060B346C33.jpeg
    BE4B0C82-C992-4EB7-8548-05060B346C33.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 6CE27419-8428-403C-8214-59CBE010AEF8.jpeg
    6CE27419-8428-403C-8214-59CBE010AEF8.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 80
Back